Draining radiators?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by joedeloach, Oct 9, 2015.

1. joedeloach

joedeloach New Member

Hi

I've been asked to relocate a radiator and went about draining the system, off at the boiler, upstairs airvents open and hose on the drain valve, all going to plan. However 5 upstairs rads and 1 downstairs rad will drain normally but 3 (and the one I need to move) are not draining? It looks to be the penultimate rad in the system with it's own drain valve, even with that open the taps are holding pressure? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Are those three downstairs, if so they are probable on a separate drop, if for some reason I can't drain a rad I normally just get a rubble sack, undo one of the rad nuts and drain it into the bag, I find this the cleanest easiest way. Also I'm assuming is a combi boiler I.e one with five to seven pipes poking out of it.

3. joedeloach

joedeloach New Member

Yes combi, I forgot to mention, the old radiator has already been removed and the job is to add a new (trendy chrome) rad in its place but 12" to the left. Basically I can't seem to drain the system to modify the pipes and replace the in/out taps with new. Sorry if I didn't make it clear at first post.

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

One option is to get yourself one of those DIY clamps that cut into pipe to fit a washing machine, then you will need the 3/4" tail from an outside tap inserted into your hose and then cut it into the pipe to be drained, empty the system and cut in a drain off when youve finished.
    Or get a wet hover and suck it all out.
    When you say the taps are holding their pressure well they will, your working on the heating circuit not the domestic water system.

5. joedeloach

joedeloach New Member

When I said taps, I meant the radiator valves. Forget the water system, let's go back to the heating system. So the problem is this, to relocate the old radiator (which has already been removed) and add a new radiator 12" to the left, I have to drain the central heating system to modify the pipes and add new valves and the new radiator. For some reason 4 radiators downstairs won't drain but 5 upstairs and 1 downstairs drain well?

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Then there on differnt drops are there any more drain off valves on the system if not get the wet hover on the rad you want to move and crack the valve nut open and suck it out

7. joedeloach

joedeloach New Member

Cheers lads, that was my assumption also, there is one more drain point I can try so I'll give that a go and hopefully that will solve it.

8. joedeloach

joedeloach New Member

Just a quick thought, would any of you suggest using a pipe freezing kit in the event I can't drain the system? I've never used one before but I hear they can split a pipe if not used correctly?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I used to have a Freezemaster electric pipe freezer, used without any problems, advantage over using a freezing can, your not limited by time you have before the ice plug starts to dethaw.
    You can hire them for a day or weekend, but avoid Rothenberger 8.8930 Eco Freeze, got given one, biggest load of carp invented, totally unreliable,once it wouldn't maintain a ice plug, second time it wouldn't freeze.

joedeloach likes this.
  10. Just steam in there with a couple of rubble sacks and a spanner, unless the rads are huge it should only be a few litres of water anyway.

FatHands likes this.