Draining Towel Rad in Hot Water system?!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by lewishardwick, Jan 27, 2015.

1. lewishardwick

lewishardwick New Member

Hi All,

First post, but I've used the forum for advice before.

My heated towel rail has developed a leak (the slow drip type) and needs to have the valves replaced.

It is not part of the central heating circuit, it comes on when the hot water is heating the cylinder. It's a closed ([​IMG]) system (expansion vessel etc).

So, my main question is can I easily drain this part of the system without having to drain all the radiators too?

None of my radiators have draining points so I'm guessing there's one lurking in the cupboard where the boiler is housed.

For a two bed flat, there's pipes EVERYWHERE!

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

No you have to drain the lot, heating and hot water circuits are connected. Don't forget to add an inhibitor when you refill.

3. lewishardwick

lewishardwick New Member

Damn it!

Oh well, only 4 Rads I suppose...

4. lewishardwick

lewishardwick New Member

Grrr... None of the Rads have a drain fitted. I'll have to rummage under the boiler as it's in a low down cupboard, it may well be the lowest point in the system. If not, could I (in theory) use the filling loop to drain? Taking into account the non-return valve of course!

5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

What I tend to do if there is no drain off, I have one of those B&Q type self cutting taps for washing machines, I put it on one of the radiaror pipes and fit the hose to that and drain the system that way. On completion I cut in a tee and drain off ready for future use.
    You could drain off after you remove the non return valve but its probably not lower than the valves you want to replace and it would be an uncontrolled drain down.
    If you have a wet hover you could use that on a rad valve, bit time consuming but its only a small 4 rad system.