Drains smell from shower

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Piltdown, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Piltdown

Piltdown New Member

Hi,

I recently fitted a stone resin shower tray into my ensuite, replacing a previous one that had cracked and caused damp damage.

The bottom of the new tray is around 20mm higher than it used to be due to my having used a cement bed - something that was missing from the orignal, they used 5 spots of silicon...

I have refitted the original bottle trap (its not a shallow one) under the tray and plumbed everything back but I'm now faced with a drains smell each morning.

Water in the shower tray drains away absolutely fine, and the water level in the trap - which is fitted with the internal seal/sleeve that you push & twist in - seems fine (surface of water is about 4-5cm from plug hole).

The 40mm waste pipe from the trap slopes gently away through the wall until it reaches the main waste pipe in the main bathroom.

So, basically, everything is as it was before except that the trap is about 15mm higher and, therefore, the end of the waste pipe coming from the trap is also about 15mm higher than it used to be.

Can anyone suggest what the problem could be caused by?

Regards

John W.

2. plummit

plummit New Member

The plumbing, that you have completed, I assume is water tight, all damp from previous leakage has evapourated, could it be possible that during the refit, a joint, has been disturbed, the problem did not exsist prior to your work, just run back over everything, check for any leakage. Also check for any movement in pipework that might have been affected by the new install.

3. Piltdown

Piltdown New Member

Yes, it's all water tight - no leaks whatsoever.

Am I correct in my understanding that shower traps rely on the rubber seal between the internal removable sleeve and the body of the trap to prevent drain gases escaping, rather than water as is the case with a P or S trap?

Not that there is anything wrong with my rubber seal - it just seems to be a bit strange to me that when you remove the internal sleeve you are, by default, exposed directly to drain gases.

nb. There is now a very similar smell in the downstairs lavatory (opposite side of the house). Could the two issues be connected? There is no smell in the main bathroom.

4. slug

slug New Member

Have you got a manhole nearby? If so have a look inside and see if it's backed up. If the drain is running freely they don't normally smell too bad (subjective of course), if they are blocked then the smell is very noticeable.

5. slug

slug New Member

And as a PS.

The only types of trap that rely on a rubber seal are the Hepvo types all others including bottle traps rely on the a water depth to prevent smells.

6. Piltdown

Piltdown New Member

Well I guess it must be a hepvo type because it would be impossible for the water level in it to ever be higher than the bottom of the waste pipe outlet. The rubber seal is the only thing that could prevent gas escaping from the trap.

I don't think its a problem with the manhole - nothing seems to be backed up.

7. doitall

doitall New Member

you will not have the hepV0 type.

the only way you can have smell problems are;

The trap is lossing it's seal possibly by syphon from the bath because the pipe isn't large enough.

or the air admittance valve is not fitted or leaking.

or the pipe has been wrongly connected at the stack end.

8. Piltdown

Piltdown New Member

You're right - I don't have the hepVO type.

I've attached a link to a drawing of my setup - perhaps it may prompt someone to comment further as to the cause of my problem.

http://www.zedphone.co.uk/jw/ShowerTrap.jpg

Thank you for all feedback to date by the way.

9. pdj

pdj New Member

If the water in the trap really is below the waste pipe as you describe then the trap is not doing anything. Right?!

Sounds like the water seal has been lost (ie the level in the trap falls below the top of the outlet pipe). Try topping up the trap carefully and observe if the trap seal is remade.

Bottle traps are really only for use with washbasins, as heavy continuous flow can break the trap seal as appears to be the case here. Special anti-siphon bottle traps are available to overcome the problem, but better still is a shallow bath trap in my opinion.

Disclaimer: Whilst I have fit many bathrooms in the course of my job, I am not a plumber.

10. doitall

doitall New Member

pdj the trap is fine and how it should be, provided the middle bit which screws out for cleaning is sealed with the washer then no smell will come up unless, as my other post something is syphoning the water out

11. Piltdown

Piltdown New Member

Hmm. The water is definitely not being syphoned out - the level is constant at the point shown in my diagram.

It appears that its not the seal either. I've now tried two traps, with different seals, and the smell remains.

I am baffled because there is no smell that I can detect if I put my nose to the plughole, yet if you leave the room for a few hours there is a noticable smell upon returning.

I'm going to air the room completely this evening and then block the plughole so that there is no way anything can escape from it. If the smell is there in the morning then it would stand to reason that its emanating from somewhere else (...although I suspect there won't be a smell, because it is always strongest in the shower cubicle itself, so it must be coming from the plughole.)

Stay tuned...

12. doitall

doitall New Member

if the water remains in the trap then the smell is elsewhere.

have you disturbed the old joint where it connects into the existing for example

13. Lynmoore

Lynmoore New Member

I have just posted this on my forum as i am suffering from a similar problem. It might be worthwhile you trying. It's a worry that i might disturb a weak joint though!!!

Sorry to keep banging on about this but this may also be of interest to the PILTDOWN who also has a similar problem with smells.
    I have a snazzy hoover which blows air out so basically have put a bucket under the drain pipe to collect the water which has been sitting in the waste pipe since Sun/Mon. And then blown air down the 2 shower and 2 basin traps (Making show i blocked up the 3 wastes to prevent the water blowing into the bathrooms).
    The results even surprised me. I expected around 1 -2 Litres of water sitting in the pipes but no it was more like 1.5-2 GALLONS of filthy stinking water that i have blown out.

14. saint dave

saint dave New Member

Piltdown, is it posible that when you removed the old shower tray that water from the old trap and waste were spilt onto floorboards, or was the old trap leaking.
    I am clutching at straws here but is it possible that the smell is in fact old water under your new shower tray. or even in the walls around the shower cubicle?

15. flowjoe

flowjoe New Member

When you say discharges into the main waste pipe do you mean soil vent pipe?. If the venting is constant then you have a dodgy connection, if not it sound like a syphoning problem.

When you flush the toilet in affect you have a plug of water dropping down a 100mm vertical shaft, if there is no air flow behind this plug of water you create a vacuum, which will draw water out of sink,shower,bath traps.

If the last act of the day is to flush the loo you will have a direct vent into the bathroom overnight, or until the sink.bath.shower is used again, therefore filling the trap.

A simple test is to put the plug in and keep an inch of water in the tray, sink, bath,as a process of elimination, if the venting stops bingo.

most common cause of a vacuum is a blocked external SVP due to a birds nest, or a dodgy internal air flow vent, usually the result of fibres from loft insulation clogging the spring loaded flange/doobry/thingymabob.

Is it possible that the original pipework had backfall and therefore a greater weight of water in the trap, by installing more fall the syphoned water has an outlet what with gravity and all doing its thing.

Now im no plumber(no golf clubs)but both are easily resolved, and i think you can buy traps with a built in air flow valve, im sure somebody will confirm.