Drill and charger to give away.

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Alan F., Sep 8, 2016.

1. Alan F.

Alan F. New Member

I have a "Direct Power" 24v combo drill and charger to give away. Both batteries dead and can't get replacements but the drill and charger are working. Rather they went to a good home than end up in land fill. Please email me if interested.
    a.rossiter@icloud.com

2. Anyone on here tried replacing the batteries inside? They are usually the small 'Sub-C' size batteries, although I think even these come in variations of sizes.

I have a Ryobi cordless which has been a bit ropey in the battery department from new - charge light never goes 'green' to show fully charged, and then it doesn't seem to last all that long. Toying with trying a battery transplant...

Worth it?

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A few ideas and techniques on Youtube.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yep. You can get them for about a £ each. Biggest problem is trying to solder terminals together. Original tabs are spot welded. The new cells can come with tabs(some with wire and spade). If you can keep the old tabs on the cells you are not removing, there are various ways of connecting them. The cells are tightly packed in the battery case and there is not a lot of room for 'thick' joints. Measure a cell and get the correct size (and voltage) before buying.
    For a 18v batt you might have 15 x 1.2v or 10 x 1.8v cells.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Alan F. likes this.
  5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Most of the old NiCad batteries have an array of AA rechargeable batteries within them (usually all soldered connections though) ;);) I know my Makita 18v NiCad's have.

6. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Chuck it in the bin....Well the appropriate one at the local tip. it's history! :(