Drill recommendations for DIY around house

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Scottyh, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Scottyh

Scottyh New Member

Hey!

Am doing some DIY, mostly putting shelves and hooks up around my new place. Was looking to rent a drill for a couple days and wasn’t too sure which to go for. Have seen a couple on Fat Lama, a Dewalt 18v, a Bosch cordless and Black and Decker 18v cordless. I’m not too sure which would be the best. If anyone knows which would be best for me (in terms of best charge, easiest to use etc.), am not too clued up on tools so I would appreciate any thoughts on which to go for!

Cheers, Scott

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bosch GSB 18-2-Li Plus, superb cordless drill,useful led light, well balanced, can't fault mine, batteries last ages,no trouble drilling with a 8mm bit, but around the home it would be usually 6.5mm or smaller bits.
    Bought it, as it's lighter, more compact than my bigger Bosch combi.
    Used with Bosch multipurpose bits, you have a perfct setup to tackle most jobs around the home.Cheaper at their competitors, there is a four piece set available.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-multipurpose-drill-bit-set-4pcs/95958

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If renting, go bosch blue combi drill. Depending on rental costs, and for just shelves and hooks, perhaps look to purchase a green bosch combi drill, should be easily cheaper than £100 (I'd think), and it's there if you ever need it again.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some of the better Bosch green cordless drills are already close to £70,(green mains cheaper) for another £30 your getting a pro drill with the option of a 3 year warrenty.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Is that the price of the one you recommended? £100? Had no idea, in that case I'd certainly go with your choice.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Well, you or I will, but Joe Soap won't need to as once the picture's on the wall, the drill lives in the garage for the next ten years! :)

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not always the case.:)

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If budget is tight then I would just go with a corded sds drill with variable speed trigger.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  11. Scottyh

Scottyh New Member

Thanks guys, think I'm leaning towards the Bosch, was worried about battery life, but seems a good option for that. Though thanks Chippie244 for the idea, wasn't too keen on buying as would just collect dust at home but may be worth actually renting it out on Fat Lama after I've done my shelves if I buy a better quality one. Appreciate the advice!!!

12. Ankastre

Ankastre New Member

Hi everyone, I'd like to hang a very heavy box shelve on my concrete wall to keep my tools and stuff. So it's already a heavy shelf n needs to hold heavy things. My budget is very limited (like £25). I'm looking to buy a second hand hammer drill. I saw a Silverline 265897 500W corded one for £18 and Apollo heavy duty 710W with 1/2" chuck (13mm) for £25 with drill bits. They're both hammer drills. (Is hammer drill right thing to get?) Other than the shelf I have lighter DIY jobs to do. Would I go wrong if I get any of the two? As I said my budget is very limited.
    Also how wide and deep should I drill into concrete so that it holds the heavy shelf with stuff on it.
    I'd appreciate your views n advices on these two issues.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Personally I wouldn't touch them.

Look at Bosch Multi Construction TCT drill bits, available singluar or in a set, will drill a wide range of material including masonry.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

btiw2 likes this.
  15. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

17. If your walls are actually concrete as you say you might struggle with a percussion drill (a screamer)
    You would be better trying to borrow or hire an SDS drill for drilling the concrete.

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

19. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

I’m sure most of us would reach for the sds, but this was a chap who just needed half a dozen holes and didn’t have much to spend.

In the olden days we did make holes in concrete blocks with hammer drills, so it must be possible, mustn’t it? Tbh I can’t really remember, sds is so effective at this job I can’t remember the pain of not using one.

Borrowing an sds is probably the best solution. Especially as someone with kit will also have a few spare plugs and screws with decent heads too. If the poster doesn’t know anybody with an sds drill to lend them, or have a friend that can do it for them, then it probably says something about our society. Not sure what though.

Give it ten minutes and we’ll have a desperate software entrepreneur on the forum offering to build FindFriendsWithSds.com (with a small subscription fee).

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  20. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I've managed perfectly well with a corded hammer drill for every hole I've ever drilled in concrete, stone, brick, tile. Nowt wrong with a common or garden hammer drill. My only SDS is a heavy Titan 6kg, and while it eats anything shown to it, I don't use it for drilling holes for plugs!

+1 for Kiab's recommendation - all you need.

or even just a basic hammer drill (not SDS)

https://www.homebase.co.uk/bosch-500w-hammer-drill-plus-15-piece-accessory-kit_p405880