Drilling and plugging a concrete lintel

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by diymostthings, Feb 19, 2014.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Hi. I need to fix a venetian blind into the reveal of our kitchen window. I have the choice of fixing the brackets to the top of the sides of the reveals, or hang them from the lintel. I know that under the skim plaster at the sides of the reveal, the masonry is not that brilliant so would prefer to fix into the lintel. Is it acceptable to drill into this (ground floor with another storey above it) lintel (concrete with big flints in it!) for plugging for the fixing screws? I would want to drill 2x 6.5mm holes about 35mm deep, each end for the plugs.

Thanks for any advice.

diymostthings

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It's all right to do but good luck doing it, I have cast insitu concrete lintels in my house and have fitted vertical blinds, what a nightmare it was drilling the lintel, you need to aim for the middle if possible because of the reinforcing wire tends to run along each side, normally a couple of inches in from the edge.

FatHands likes this.
  3. diymostthings

Thanks for the advice Phil. Yes I was particularly worried about the reinforcing bars - couldn't find them with my metal dectector though. I have to come a fair way away from the window so the blind will clear the window handles when it drops - so it will be roughly in the middle. Here goes then...

diymostthings

4. diymostthings

Phil - just to report I took your advice and went for the centre line of the reveal. Drilled 6 fixing holes, all perfect and in nice meaty concrete with no "wandering" of the bit. Plugs and screws very sound - I could hang a bag of cement on it! Thanks for your excellent advice!

diymostthings

Phil the Paver likes this.