Drilling through Porcelain Tiles

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Pagloss, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

Hi, i'd appreciate some advice please if anyone can help.

I want to fit a new bathroom suite and we currently have very thick (10mm) procelain wall tiles which are staying. I need to make quite a few drill holes through them to fit the toilet cistern, shower enclosure etc but everything ive tried won't touch them. The guy at my local hardware shop suggested a hardened drill bit which claimed on the packet to be able to drill the 'hardest tiles known to mankind' (some claim) but it didn't even make an impression.

Any tips would be appreciated.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

there are always more than one way to skin a cat,
    you can buy expensive diamond tipped drills at £20 a pop, or you can get these
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-tile-glass-drill-bit-set-3pcs/53634 but go very slowly and keep them cool by dipping them in water every couple of seconds, BUT GO SLOW thats the key,
    and dont forget GO SLOW and keep them cool, oh did i mention go slow?

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

4. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

I Recently fitted grade 5 porcelain wall and floor tiles and to drill I bought this type http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diamond-H...Garden_PowerTools_SM&var=&hash=item56645493fc

I bought them from the plumbers merchants not as cheap, but I guess their better quality, I think I got about 4-5 holes per bit.

B J

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The ones (holesaws) that have been suggested above is what I have commonly used. You can buy cheap ones from e-bay that will see you through 4-5 holes per bit.

If you are drilling floor tiles, you can make a small 'reservoir' to hold water to act as a cooling aid. Or a water spray when drilling vertically, if water is not used the bits will overheat and the diamond coating can come off, rendering the bit useless.

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

The proper ones for porcelain from a tile shop are best to use in the long run dear but they do the job!

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you can crack/score the surface at point of drilling with a glass/tile cutter/scribe first, it'll give you a good start.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Use a small piece of board or similar, approx 5mm in thickness and drill the desired hole through this using a standard drill bit. This can then be used as an aid to stop the porcelain drill bit from wandering; until it eventually nicks the surface of the tile.

9. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

When you get fed up trying to drill the holes with tile bits go and get your SDS out and let that lose on it,seen that a few times.lol:mad:

10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

seen some drills on that T.V channel bid up, they go through owt, concrete,wood,glass,a file. even another drill, he goes throu at speed and forces the drill, it never gets hot or goes blunt, they cost about £40 for a set but if they are as good as they are demonstrated they're worth it,
    but then i'm thinking, why don't main dealers like srewfix or B+Q sell um ????:confused:

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Because there s***, got some here, ok on thick metal plate, with a bit 8mm and up, but the small bits on thin stuff, just snap the ends off.

At the end of the day they are masonry bits that are sharper up, but not as strong.

12. Phil the Paver

13. Phil the Paver

IMAG1516.jpg

Broken tip.

14. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I though there must be a fault, anything that needs high profile selling means it can't sell itsself, they never need to push dewalt or makita o_O

15. plumberboy

My old boss always used to say,problems will come to you with out buying them.He was always right,so I stick with brand names.

16. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

ha ha , thats a good saying that PB, I must remember that one,

17. plumberboy

He was full of wise words and they were all true,I realised this the older I got.

18. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

Some cracking advice folks, much appreciated

19. Home Owner

Home Owner New Member

If you can drill on the grout it will also minimize the chance of cracking the tiles. That is what my plumber did when installing a simple rack in the shower. Not always possible. hope this helps

20. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Whenever I use a pub urinal...More frequently as I get older :(, I tend to look at the plumbing. If I see they have innstalled pipe clips on the grout lines, I think "Bloody Cowboys !" That is not the way to do it ! :mad: