Drywall Screw gun for plywood floor ?

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Kevin Kitchen, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Kevin Kitchen

Kevin Kitchen New Member

Hi,

Got a rather large floor to ply for Karndean flooring. Wondered if it were possible to use a drywall screw gun for this ? Anyone on here done that ? Any issues? Plywood is 9mm thick.

Thanks in advance !

2. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

25mm screws would be ideal for the job, what's the smallest screws you can get for the gun?
    Suppose it depends on what's likely to be beneath the boards, pipes and cables perhaps?
    How big an area are you talking about?

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've used one to fix an 18mm ply floor.

4. Kevin Kitchen

Kevin Kitchen New Member

I haven't bought a drywall gun yet, so wanted to know if anyone had done used one for this purpose. Screws would be approx 30mm. Area totals 60m2.

5. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

That's a lot a screws, 2500 should do ya.
    If you can be certain no services will be damaged, go for it!

6. Kevin Kitchen

Kevin Kitchen New Member

I'm renovating the house top to bottom so there's no services so that's fine. I've seen Lord tool hire do a drywall gun. Only £37 for the week I'm gonna give it a go !

Thanks for the feedback !

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Include the extension arm so you can screw standing up.

longboat likes this.
  8. Kevin Kitchen

Kevin Kitchen New Member

Very good idea !!!

9. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

'69' :D

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think that's a bit different. :p:p

11. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I have a FEIN M-gun and it paid for itself in just a day or two when I had labourers putting up plasterboard. You can get a mains powered one for around £200 and there is now a battery version.

Since then, I used it to fix 12mm T&G boards without problem. Something like 2000 screws in under four hours. The Fein works well with the B&Q/SF collated screws - I picked some up at around £4/box in a clearance. I have also used it for Hardie Backerboard and a few other smaller jobs. Get some scrap to practise on - keeping it running and moving from one to the next needs a little practice - there is always the temptation to release the trigger, but don't. As mentioned, get an extension so you can work standing up.

It is one of those tools I am really glad that I purchased.

12. If that is fixing 12mm T.G.V it must look absolutely terrible.Correct way is to nail through the tongue.

13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I know! But in this case they are not visible. Garden room with decent quality 150x50 rafters, boards laid on top, followed by membrane, battens and cedar shingles. So, the screws are from above and not visible and actually it give the effect I was told to get!

14. patrick redman

patrick redman New Member

I bought a cordless Makita 14.4v LXT autofeed screw gun and it paid for itself time and time again. Uses any collated screws Ive bought wth no problems. Its my ideal tool when I've got a lot of first fix flooring to put down that'll get covered later on, not so good for finished flooring unless you want the diy look.