Dual dimmer switch, one side stopped working.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jaxs, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Jaxs

Jaxs New Member

Hi,
    I have a dual dimmer switch installed in my living room. One dimmer controls the main light, the other controls the two wall lights. This has been installed and working for years. However, recently, the dimmer controlling the wall lights has stopped working and doesn't even switch the lights on. The dimmer controlling the main light is working fine.
    Can anybody suggest any reasons why this has occurred and what I can do to fix it?
    It didn't stop working after a change of bulbs but the wall lights dimmer was switched on and the bulbs just flickered slightly and then stopped working completely. I have tried changing the bulbs but this has made no difference.

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Dimmer has gone squit by the sounds of it, or a loose wire in behind.

Lamps blow quite spectacularly these days, and a good blow can damage dimmers.

FatHands and Jaxs like this.
  3. camels toe

camels toe Member

Buy a new one. The electronics in the dimmer unit as gone.

Jaxs likes this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Sounds like your dimmer has gone kaput and needs changing.

Jaxs likes this.
  5. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hi. without test gear the easiest way to test it is the dimmer at fault would be to connect the bulbs which didnt work in to another fitting to test. that said, if youve replaced with new, the chances of all new being faulty is slim. assuming nothing has changed in the house which may have damaged the wiring it sounds like you need a new dimmer

Jaxs likes this.
  6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Does sound like the switch, had to change mine recently for the very same reason.

Jaxs likes this.
  7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you were unscrupulous you could get a new dimmer from, oh I don't know, and fit it. If that works then jobs a good un and if it doesn't take it back for a refund. ;);)

KIAB and Jaxs like this.
  8. Jaxs

Jaxs New Member

Thanks all for your replies.
    I will go and buy a new one and fit it.
    I haven't had any other work done in the house to the electrics which could have caused this problem.

9. Phil the Paver

This is why B&Q are having to close 60 stores. :p:p:p

Risteard and Jaxs like this.
  10. Jaxs

Jaxs New Member

Of course I will be going to Screwfix to buy my new one!

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

And because they are bloody useless, apart from, as I saw today in the Guardian, being a hotspot for lesbian pick ups.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Apparantly B&Q is the place to meet up/ go to, if your LGBTQ:eek:

B&Q= Bi's & Q ueers from what I was told.

13. unclehefty

unclehefty New Member

Hello, I have a problem - I am trying to replace a twin rocker switch with two dimmers, the picture below shows them - which wires go where please?
    rewire.jpg

14. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Put the red wires into the centre connections of the 2 dimmer modules then the yellow into L1 of one dimmer and the blue into the L! of the other module.

15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You know what, sen, we should get paid for all the advice we give out on 'ere.

seneca likes this.
  16. Phil the Paver

That's the opposite of how it's wired up now, why would you do it differently, just asking like. :)

17. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Because it was previously wrongly wired, although being single pole it doesn't make any difference really.

Phil the Paver likes this.
  18. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Just good practice though Imho.

seneca likes this.
  19. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Exactly!