dual oven dilemma

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mr Rusty, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I currently have a single 3kW oven and gas hob with electric igniter. They are on a spur and socket outlet on a dedicated radial 2.5mm with a 15A mcb. I am adding an additional 3kW combi oven supplied with a plug.

My plan is to change the 15A mcb to a 30A mcb and run a new 6mm radial to a combined cooker isolator and socket for the existing oven and new oven. This is easy <2m from consumer unit. The ovens will be in a new location, the hob remains where it is.

Question - how to feed the hob supply (which is igniter only <100W).

Do I

1) run a new spur from the cooker isolator in 2.5 to an outlet spur - approx 2m.
    2) connect the existing 2.5 radial into the mcb alongside the new 6mm and connect the hob to the existing radial/outlet.

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You just need a convenient socket to plug in the gas hob igniter. Standard way is to spur off a socket and install a single socket below the worktop,

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Yes, I figured that is the best solution, and probably what I will do. Can you comment on the other 2 solutions? is it OK to spur off the 6mm cooker circuit to an additional outlet in a smaller cable? The only reason not to consider your suggestion is because I will have to chase the wall out, and it is brick...........

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Option 2 looks best mate.

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

cheers

6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Can i spurr off the 6mm cable with a smaller cable, simples, no you cant . Cable has to be rated to the fus ethat is supplying it.

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Not necessarily Nigel, that's the reason we can (although I wouldn't!) spur from a 32amp ring circuit in 1.5mm t/e.

8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

As suggested sen nor would I!

9. Allybally

Allybally Member

If the idea is to have the cooker and hob on the same mcb, a nice easy way to do this is to use 40 amp isolator which below the worktop controls a cooker isolator with a 13A socket inbuilt, this way the circuit is up to regs ad you can isolate both from one swith, so run 6mm to isolator>cooker socket isolator then from there run 4mm flex to oven and a plughole to hob

Ally