dual / single rcd or rcbo

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by ram, Jun 28, 2016.

1. ram

ram Member

i have several new build proporties to wire some of wich only have 5 or 6 circuits would you :-

fit dual rcd board even though there will be loads of spare ways

fit non rcd board with all rcbos

or (as suggested by a governing body tech help line ! ) fit single rcd board on the basis that there might only be 2 ring mains....

2. Fit all rcbo's,only way to do the job,in my opinion.

nffc likes this.
  3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Definately

4. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

All RCBO without a doubt , problem is cost difference

5. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

7. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Good board i've just a lot of em for office splits

8. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

The metal one is superb plenty of knock outs and a good sized rear entry

9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

And you do need a good sized rear entry lol :D:D:D:oops:

10. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Well according to my Mrs i do tend to talk out of it a lot :D

Bazza-spark likes this.
  11. razibpaul126

razibpaul126 New Member

Definitely

12. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

As above all RCBO is the forward IMO, a single upfront RCD wouldn't minimise disruption.

13. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Fitted 10 5 way boards last week all rcbo's definitely the way to go

14. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I will be asking an electrician to quote for a full rewire on a smallish semi in the not too distant. It will probably have about 8 circuits. In the context of a rewire the difference in cost between RCD solution and RCBO solution isn't going to be significant.

Q. Is there a benefit either way. Should I ask for the quote to be one or the other? Or just leave it to the sparks who will prob just take the least expensive option......

sorry to slightly hijack the thread.

15. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Give you and idea an RCD ranges from £20 to £40 depending on brand.
    An RCBO IS £20 to £38 again depends on the brand.
    But the advantage of RCBO over RCD is you only loose the one circuit in the event of a fault.
    You should be able to pick up an 8 way RCBO board loaded for around £200.
    If your not a brand snob have a look at these: http://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-10-way-metal-consumer-unit-8-rcbos/1313p

16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Cheers TP&N - understood. I won't be buying the bits - my electrician will surely do that, but I think for the price uplift I will spec this as RCBOs all the way. We'll probably rent this place out when its done (when!) so all has to be certified correctly.

17. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

TBH if they brought the price down I wouldn't fit anything else and I'm going to replace all my MCB's at home this back end even though the boards only 18 months old.

18. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

i seen a good cheat (works only for isolation tho) and that was the use of double pole switches after the cu for each circuit (20amp for lighting and 45amp for sockets) dont know if it was ok by regs but thought it was great way round a problem

19. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I have TWO 16 way CUs in the house, plus a third which has the breakers for the Garage and Shed feeds. I have a small facility room where I have space to locate them.

I have a mixture of RCBOs and RCDs in the CUs. One RCD controls the E10 circuits, and the second other circuits around the house. The RCBOs provide protection to chosen circuits where something else tripping would be a nuisance or problem - they include 3 lighting circuits, a radial to the point where my HiFi and AV is located, radial for a Fridge/Freezer socket, a circuit in a small attic where all my comms and networking equipment is located and an outside ring with three locations or different parts of the garden - front, side, rear. In the end it was cost that was the driver, fitting a full set of RCBOs would have added £500 to the cost!