Dulux quick dry satinwood - everything sticks to it pulling it off

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by giamoose, Mar 10, 2014.

1. giamoose

giamoose New Member

I have a problem that's making me really sad and angry in turns. Couple of weeks ago I used Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood paint for my windowsill and now everything I leave on it for more than a day sticks to it and pulls the paint off. Even a box of matches!!

I sanded it before painting and waited before doing another coat of paint and just can't imagine what could be causing it or how I could fix it without having to redo the whole thing.

2. It's not just Dulux's paint that does this, I'm afraid. All the quick-drying (water-based) satinwood paints I've used have been like this to some extent.

It takes ages to become sticky-free.

Something you can try - and I have - is to first give it a good couple of weeks without anything being placed on it, and then - if you are happy with the finish and don't plan to re-coat it for a couple of years - give it a spray and wipe over with furniture polish. These have additives designed to shrug-off future marks, so leave the surface non-sticky.

You could also try putting felt pads on any object you sit there - much less likely to stick.

It will become non-sticky by itself given enough time, but I can't remember how long that was - it was certainly months...

Crazy that a quick-drying finish remains 'sticky' waaay past what a solvent paint would but hey.

3. giamoose

giamoose New Member

Ohh, thank you so much for your reply, I was starting to go mad here already. But I'll just leave it for now and see what happens. Will use felt pads as well, thank you for the tip!

4. Welcome. Yep - it drove me completely crazy too. That's why I'm on here...

5. supertosh

supertosh Member

Having been in the decorating trade for over 40 years, fast drying satinwood is one of the worse pro paints Ive ever used. The finish and general look of a door painted in satin wood is offensive to a decorators eye.

6. MikeMaMan

MikeMaMan New Member

Supertosh
    What would you recommend for the speaker cabinets finish? I got it filled and primed with "bnq colours primer and undercoat" and it look nice and dry. I need black and preferably not gloss. If it's strong even better but not crucial.

7. Cough - are you ready?

Smooth matt black masonry paint, applied gently with a mini foam roller (or possibly a pile roller - might be worth testing them both)

Or, would you rather spray?

8. MikeMaMan

MikeMaMan New Member

Hey :) I am always ready ;)
    Initially i wanted to spray but later on after poor tacky finish i dumped the idea. I did use foam rollers and it gave me this bumpy finish which i don't mind. So you recon this masonry paint will do the job? I need it to dry in at least a day, so i can carry my work on the speakers. Basically i need it to hard dry in 2 or max 3 days. Will the color be nice black?
    Sorry for asking so much man :) . And any particular brand you can suggest? I found http://www.wilko.com/masonry-paint/...ack25l/invt/0342049?VBMST=black masonry paint and these http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/paint-woodcare/exterior-masonry-paint/-colourderived>black/-finish-Matt. I don't mind to order online is it will be better.

9. Ray Retired

Ray Retired Active Member

10. MikeMaMan

MikeMaMan New Member

11. I've used Wickes, but suspect they're all much of a muchness.

Nice almost matt, slightly satin - a richness to it.

Painted rough-sawn woodwork around 6 years ago - still nifty.

Did my wrought-iron spindles around 10 years ago - still very nifty. (Both hand-brushed).

Attached Files:

12. I've also used it on masonry...

13. MikeMaMan

MikeMaMan New Member

Looking good and fresh.
    How fast does it dry so i can work with it without leaving a finger prints?

14. In this weather, around 20 minutes...

Used Homebase's weatherthing version last weekend, again on rough sawn wood. Niiiice stuff.

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Flat off with wet & dry and soapy water then re-finish with Dulux Diamond Q/D Eggshell. ;)

16. MikeMaMan

MikeMaMan New Member

I can not see it in black.

17. MikeMaMan

MikeMaMan New Member

Ok i went i bought "Wilko outside exterior masonry paint for walls and render smooth finish" fkn long name :D And i painted one test bit, half of it with brush, another with foam roller. And i had to go easy on it otherwise it was going bubbly. It says 2 hours touch dry, and 4-6 hours between re-coating. I think ill let it dry till tomorrow, and maybe ill give another layer in 5 hours. This paint is quite think by the way. I stired it but it did not made it any runny.

18. supertosh

supertosh Member

A foam roller is about as much use for a smooth finish as t its on a boar - as is wilko paint.

You only get what you pay for -there is no cutting corners for a professional finish.

19. Yes, it is thick stuff.

And, yes, you need to go really slow when finishing with the foam roller - dead light too.

The stuff does 'texture' 'cos it's so thick, but I'm hoping you'll like the slightly grainy finish?

I doubt you'll be happy with a brushed finish on a flat 'hi-tech' surface tho'.

If it textures too much, you can always thin the paint slightly.

20. MikeMaMan

MikeMaMan New Member

As I am painting over primer. And it was applied with same roller and looks bumpy. I don't mind this texture. I even kinda like it.