Dummy Burglar Alarm Powering?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Legolas-woodelf, Jan 15, 2011.

1. My first post in a while, and I suspect the answer is really basic, but anyway...

I want to fit a dummy burglar alarm to my house. The one I've bought has little flashing LEDs powered by four 1.5 volt batteries.
    Ideally I want to power it from the mains with the batteries as backup in the event of a power cut.

If I get a 240 volt AC to 6 volt DC transformer, can I simply connect the 6 volt wires to the two wires that power the LED circuit and leave the batteries in situ to take over in the event of a power cut?

My concern is that in effect  this would be applying 6 volts to the batteries which, if I understand it correctly, is effectively charging the batteries. Would I need to fit rechargeable batteries? How do they do it in mains powered smoke alarms with battery backup? Do I need to start messing about with 6 volt relays so that the LEDs are powered either by the transformer or the batteries but not both at the same time?

As ever any thoughts or advice most gratefully received.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Stop buggering around. The batteries will last about a year before you have to change them.

3. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

It would need some electronic circuitry incorporating a Diode amongst other things to ensure the Batts are not 'charged' when the mains ****** is operational.

Why not just buy a proper Bell Box and use in isolation?

4. pefc

pefc New Member

why not install a proper burlar alarm system? you'll kick yourself if heaven forbid something happens. There is mass market for DIY wireless systems out there, anything is better than something preted.

5. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

PreTed? 

Is that a relation of Super Ted?

6. pefc

pefc New Member

Yeah sine thats right, as i siad a preted burlar alarm is better than nuffin lol