Duquesa roof slate failure rate...?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by JoHo, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

65mm nails are to big for slates, most likely have been used to secure the battens as this is the most used size.

The extra battens may have been needed if the gutter was installed before the re-roof, sometimes a fillet or cant strip is installed at the bottom row to keep the tiles in alignment, or re just resting on the slightly raised fascia board.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That extra batten is known as a counter batten. & used as Jit mentioned.

Would have puncture roofing membrane.:(

Nails far too long,many years ago, old roofer told me nails length should always be two slates thick plus 20mm- 25mm in length.

Looking at photo slates look like they are not sitting flush with previous slate, might be just camera angle.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  3. Stop talking about ridge tiles, folks - it's got now't to do with this... :)

The proper copper nails were used for the actual tiles - not 65mm jobbies - you can see a pack in post #17.

Aren't these additional battens used to set the correct slope of the tiles so that the subsequent layers above also lay flat on the ones below?

JoHo, I forget the make of slate tile we had fitted to our place around 10 years ago, but they were Spanish too, look very similar to yours and were the same as used on many Tesco stores etc.

I have to say that our job doesn't look as neat as yours - ours don't lie as neatly flat over eachother, and there is some rattling when the wind blows. And, lordie, the wind blows up here (North Devon) - it took a tree down right outside our front door a couple of weeks ago.

Lost slates? Ooh, around 3 or 4 over a period of a decade. And I put these failures down to a non-professional roofer who either over-whalloped a few, or possibly stood on them during the job. As far as I am concerned, it isn't normal to lose slates at all - our old family house on the Isle of Lewis (you want wind...?!) hasn't lost a slate since it was built in the late 50s.

It simply cannot be reasonable to expect to lose 6-odd slates per year. That's nuts.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Looking at post 17,the pack has 65mm on it:eek:.

5. Really? Blimey :(

I couldn't read that - I was going by what looked strongly like ~40mm length nails.

65mm? That's some clouting required. And it would be very hard to judge when to 'stop'... :rolleyes:

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Using photoshop, I measured a nail, near enough 65mm, far too long, probably too large in diameter, so stressing hole in slate.:eek:

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  7. JoHo

JoHo New Member

To be fair, that bag of 65mm nails may be a red herring - possibly just been used for the counter battens? I was taking a lot of random photos almost every day, so they may be out of context! There's no sign of nails coming through the membrane in the loft space, if that helps?

I appreciate all the comments / advice on the work done as a whole (and specifics), but as Devil's alludes to, overall the work appears to have been well done, looks good, and there are no other concerns or issues apart from the loose / slipped tiles. As I had no idea as to whether this was the norm or not, this has been a very helpful exercise. I think I can now safely and confidently adopt a (gentle) attitude of "this isn't right, please get it sorted"!

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A 65mm copper clout nail is 3.35mm diameter, fixing slate the nail should be 3.20 - 3.25mm diameter, so I presume nails are too tight,iif 65m nails used, so slate can't move, it then fails, hence slates coming adrift.:eek:

Even some shorter nails , like 38mm are 3.35mm diameter.

EDIT: Well, I just had a read of brochure, they suggest 3.00 – 3.35mm diameter nails, so that theory sunk!:oops::rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  9. Emanuel

Emanuel Member

Joho, before starting the repairs, I would suggest doing some research on the tiles that you used - you might have already done it, but try to look for some reviews online. Maybe some other people had the same problem and it's not the builder but the tiles.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

11. JoHo

JoHo New Member

That's exactly what I did, and the almost complete absence of negative reviews, forum posts with similar issues etc. led me to posting this thread!

Emanuel likes this.
  12. Emanuel

Emanuel Member

In this case, it's the installation. It's unacceptable for them to cause you problems after only one year.
    I wish you good luck with this! What did the builder say?

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

[​IMG]

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Cembrit were at the Homebuilding Show, they said that all natural slates have to be graded.

The thicker ones need to be laid at the bottom course and thinner one to the top, this stops slats sticking out.

Glendyne slate which is Canadian apparently comes already sorted as they use lasers to measure thickness of the slates.