Earth Bonding a boiler - certificate required

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by misha8904, May 13, 2012.

1. misha8904

misha8904 New Member

Hi,  my boiler needs earth bonding, what certification should i require?

2. PaulTanton

PaulTanton New Member

In most cases supplementary bonding of a central heating system boiler is not required. I was removed from the Electrical and Gas regulations a couple of years ago.

I say not required in most cases. What makes you think it requires bonding?

In either case no certificate is required.

Paul

3. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

If you have the work conducted, which as Paul states is not really required, then you would require a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate (MEIWC), often referred to as a MWC.

4. PaulTanton

PaulTanton New Member

But what test results would you put on the Minor works? R1 + R2????

5. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

A meaningful result would be R1 only

6. spinlondon

Results of all relevant tests, which would be tick the 'Earth continuity satisfactory' box.
    This is a change to an existing installation.
    As far as BS7671 is concerned, an Electrical Installation Certificate is required to be issued.
    Lucy stop talking to yourself.

7. spinlondon

If only that were the case Lucy, I'd never have to delete any of your posts.
    Your posts get deleted because of their abusive manner and offensive content.

8. spinlondon

Yep that's about the strength of it.
    Any new installation work, any addition or alteration to an existing installation requires a certificate be issued.
    Doesn't matter whether the work is required in the first place, the fact that it's been carried out entails that certfication is required.
    You can conduct as much testing and tick as many boxes as you desire.
    The fact is, that only one of the five essential tests is relevant.
    As such only the results of that one relevant test need be recorded.

9. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

If a spark came to do an electrical inspection {EICR} there would be no comment at all to make about the absence of 'cross bonding' on the boiler becuase its not required. You would check that there was earth continuity to the electrical supply to the boiler but thats all. If you have had a new boiler installed the installer should have checked that it was adequately earthed and if it was connected to an existing supply no cert required anyway. If it was a new supply put in for the boiler then the insatller would have to do the appropriate cert.

Dunx

10. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Earthing and Bonding, two completly different practical issues

Def. as the Green book (Wiring regulations BS 7671 2008  pages 23/27

Earthing- Connection of the exposed conductive parts of an install. to the main earthing terminal of that installation.

Bonding conductor-a protective conductor providing (equil*) potential bonding (*clues in the def.)

As 14th says, the boiler looks like its a new install and the OP is probably wondering why any paperwork has not been issued.

If I was asked to produce some form of verification of the works requested, a minor works could be issued with the earth continuity box ticked

The rest would go N/A or LIM

That would be my opinion with a hefty bill for extra clerical works asscociated to the works!

11. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Myself (DIY) would check that the gas is actually bonded firstly, and then secondly would whip a wander onto the gas pipe going into boiler and if it reads 0.05 ohms or less then everything is hunky dory - don't know nuffin about certs and stuff though.

12. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

That's R1  JP  as i posted above  

13. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Sorry LD 

14. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

don't say SORRY JP    now I feel bad :(

15. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

LPs a fine fella Lucy ,,, sorry JP ,, a tad prudish , but no hint of religiosity ,which is a mercy

16. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Now if only someone could help me out with my AVI  and Subtitles dilema   The Beast in Man     a mixture of subs ,,, the best will play with VCL on pc but not on telly,,, The .srt file will play on telly , but those subs are half missing , I want the ..... forget it

17. J.P.

J.P. New Member