earth conductor label??????????

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by audi-evo, Mar 4, 2008.

1. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

got the bco comming out tomorrow.
    Had work done (elesca) last year including new earth to gas meter.
    BCO say they want earthing conductor, main equipotential bonding conductors labelled @ main earth terminal.
    Does this mean a label on earths telling you where they go?

2. cheggers

cheggers New Member

I think they mean in the fuse board, I just put a G W and M (GAS WATER and MAIN) on the earth wires with a pen

3. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

that's the answer i wanted, so just a sticker saying, "this way to gas" and "this way to water" type thing, taped to cable.

4. cheggers

cheggers New Member

no I think they want to know which one is which in the fuse board

5. edward current

edward current Active Member

I think they mean in the fuse board, I just put a G W
    and M (GAS WATER and MAIN) on the earth wires with a
    pen

very professional...........................

6. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

don't think so, never mentioned the fuse box, he told me the earth to the water was undersized, wanted 10mm, so i changed it.
    He wrote to upgrade the earth and label @ main earth terminal.
    He can go and whistle for the gas as i had that done last march by elesca spark when i renewed cu.
    (and got a cert).

7. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

To be absolutely 'correct' the MET should be outside the CU.

It should have the main bonds going to it, including the one to the CU and each should be labelled (as in "Gas bond", "water Bond" etc). And the entire MET should have the usual warning label alongside.

But who bothers? Ah well .... you inspector could pick you up on it.

8. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

To be absolutely 'correct' the MET should be outside
    the CU.

It should have the main bonds going to it, including
    the one to the CU and each should be labelled (as in
    "Gas bond", "water Bond" etc). And the entire MET
    should have the usual warning label alongside.

But who bothers? Ah well .... you inspector could
    pick you up on it.

Where do you get this stuff from Rabbit ?

9. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

don't know what all the bits are called but the new 10mm earth goes into a black box outside (below) the cu, that's where i was gonna put my label.
    If he kicks up and won't sign it off fec him, i'll live without his daft bit of paper.
    Had the same slavver on when the lights went in, told him the cable was all there, hanging out of the celing pre-plastering, he came out only to tell me he was just there to inspect rsj for knock through in kitchen and he would get the spark out a week later.
    Tough, the plasterer is booked so the lights were up before the sparky inspector came out.
    He just put "U" in a few boxes (unable to inspect)
    Complete waste of time b@lls up, i'm not even bothered about the cert anymore it's been going on that long.

10. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

You mean other than simply just good practice LD? That is probably all it is - good practice and professional, little pride these days. I don't have the regs book, they are at the office but its probably there somewhere, even if its not it is still good practice.

11. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

And there was silly me thinking the copper terminal bar inside the cu was the MET .

12. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

13. kmelectric

kmelectric New Member

Sorry Rab, think you might have that hill to yourself on this one...
    I1m not aware of ANY reg (7671 16th/17th OR building reg) which spec.s the MET o/s the C.U.
    If i`m misinformed (which is more common than I care to admit), then I`d like to be corrected??

14. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Oh how very 'funny' LD.

I did say it was good working practice. We all know that there is an internal bus bar within CU's and that this is form terminating the often many cpc of the circuits that connect top the CU and related MCB's, RCBO's etc.

Maybe you don't bother with good working practice and are one of those who 'throw' in CU's without any pride in your work, but please don't insist that we all have to follow your slovenly ways.

If I recall there is indeed a section of 7671 that refers to the proper labelling of main bonds (water, gas, water, oil etc) - try and do that inside one of your CU internal bus bars.

Me - I will stick to my professional ways LD and you stick to your slovenly ways. No problem.

15. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Labels as in refer to 514.13.1 section (ii) BS7671:2008

Off you go and try and label up each main bond inside the CU earth bus bar LD it would be interesting top see it afterwards so take a piccy and post it here so I can have a good laugh.

16. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

17. prosparks

prosparks New Member

Nice one RR..."What a guy".....(Red Dwarf lol)

I have been using the external MET for years(even before it was shown in LBB page 27) even tho most wholesalers did not carry them cos it was just easier.

Try getting gas/water/main earth/metal house frame and lightening conductor into internal earth bar ?

Never labelled each conductor tho as a lot of the time you could see the route and connection (CU/services in garages)

Can't see a specific unambiguous reg for it but agree that it would not hurt !

18. *welsh.wizard*

*welsh.wizard* New Member

Ray, Have you got a link to anywhere that sell the particular MET that you use?

(The MET that you use the most).

19. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Well, the bco is comming round @ 2.30, he rang my wife this morning to tell her they won't accept any work not done by self cert spark.
    Wonder why i paid them then!!!!!!!!!!!

20. prosparks

prosparks New Member

Ray, Have you got a link to anywhere that sell the
    particular MET that you use?

(The MET that you use the most).

12386 in Screwfix lol

and dont call me Ray !!