Earthing Cut From Lighting Circuit.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Steven2011, Oct 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Steven2011

Steven2011 Member

I got called out to do Remedial Works from an EICR in a 1 bed flat.

One C2 of which was “incorrect voltage on both lighting circuits, could not carry out dead & live testing”.

So I checked it out and turns out all the earthing at the all switches have been cut away by the “old owner”.. all fittings & switches are class 2. Correct voltage being present by testing between L-N.

Now the board has 30mA RCD protected. But as the lighting circuit within the bath room has no earthing then am I right in saying that supp bonding is required and classed as a C2? And would need an earth from the board to the pipe work located within the bathroom. All light fittings in bathroom are out with zones but are not IP rated.

Cheers

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I'm not a spark mate but it would seem to me if all the fittings are class 2 (including the b-room fitting), which I take to mean plastic, and there aint no earth, then I don't really see how you could bond the light ctt. anyway. If the rest of the install is fully rcd protected, supp. bond isn't required.

Can't you maybe crimp on some extra earth wire and reconnect the earths in the lighting ctt.?

Will be interested in other replies.

3. Steven2011

Steven2011 Member

Hi,

Because the rest of the board is protected, doesn’t mean that supp bonding is not required. circuits located within a bathroom or shower room should be protected by 30mA RCD protection if no supp bonding is already in place and meets max disconnection times.

As the lighting circuit has no earth and RCDs pick up imbalances between phase conductor to earth then the RCD won’t work on that lighting circuit. Which then more earthing to water pipes such as supp bonding would surly be required I would have thought ?

Cheers

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Like I say mate, my "academic" take on it would that if the light fitting is class 2 it won't be able to introduce any kind of fault as it's not extraneous, so I can't see how bonding it will make any difference. It's not like a there will be a voltage difference between it and any extraneous metal parts in the event of a fault.

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Sounds like you don't fully understand how an rcd works? The leakage to cause the imbalance doesn't necessarily have to be to the circuit earth, any earthed object will cause the rcd to operate, no need for any earth connection to the supply earth.

spinlondon likes this.
  6. Steven2011

Steven2011 Member

Hi

Not sure how your getting I don’t understand how an RCD works ? I wrote it picks up imbalances between phase conductors to earth....

So would you code this situation (for bathroom circuits) or as the circuits are protected at the board by an RCD?

7. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

The RCD will still provide additional protection...The RCD will operate when it detects an imbalance between line and neutral. Say it did had a metal light switch, no CPC in the circuit, line conductor shorts to metal light switch, you touch the light switch whilst touching a radiator that's connected to earth somehow through a parallel path such as the bonding or boiler circuit CPC then you will be part of the earth path....In which case the RCD operates as it detects the imbalance. For me if the circuit has no CPC, all fittings/accessories are class 2, circuit is protected by a 30mA RCD as it enters a special location, warning notice on board stating not to fit class 1 fittings then it's a C3.

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The issue you have here is not the rcd, it's do you need supp. bonding in the b-room.

9. Steven2011

Steven2011 Member

Ok thanks for that!
    And no supp bonding is required as no earth ?

Thanks

10. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

All fittings are class 2, being class 2 they are not exposed conductive parts. The purpose of supplementary bonding would be to limit touch voltage under fault conditions between exposed and extraneous conductive parts. If there is main equipotential bonding to extraneous conductive parts such as incoming services(water and gas) and all circuits supplying the bathroom or circuits passing through zones of the bathroom are protected by a 30mA RCD then no supplementary bonding is not required. The C3 would be for the lack of CPC which doesn't comply with the requirements of ADS.

The method of fault protection for that particular circuit is the fact the fittings/accessories are class 2.

Steven2011 likes this.
  11. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I'm DIY and happy to be corrected, but I think the "to earth" part of that isn't needed!
    It's just inbalances between the phase conductors.

As I say... happy to be corrected!

Regards,

Cando

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  12. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Indeed. I would expect the RCD to operate regardless of the bonding being there, or not. Not sure why @leesparkykent has used such an analogy as to suggest the rcd would not operate in the light switch without an earth if it was touched, regardless of touching an extraneous part simultaneously.

13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Correct.

14. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

An "imbalance" is all that is needed to operate the RCD.( forget about earths per se for a moment)
    Which is why in split RCD boards...crossed neutrals will cause tripping.
    Having said that....neutral is in fact a hard earth.
    So the discussion is more about logical semantics .
    RS

15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

As well as in a TT system?

16. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Firstly, the CPC should not be cut out, regulations require a CPC to all outlets unless in a I.T. earth free installation, which this is not. These earth conductors must be re instated and connected.
    The bonding, assuming the pipework is not plastic and is not electrically continuous copper, bond to the bath taps, sink taps, shower and radiator. Take the bonding lead to the nearest available earthing point, perhaps the shower switch. If the light fitting is enclosed in conductive material and can be touched when also touching other exposed metalwork, then it must also be part of the bonding system.

17. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

yep,....at source the centre tap on the star winding is sent out as a N..(with one phase)....decked hard at the same time.
    The rod in the consumers installation is the return path to the centre tap.
    RS

18. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

A single phase RCD must measure the same current in the neutral that went out through the phase, if not, then it is fair to assume that some of the current has leaked away somewhere, this is called an earth fault. If the level of leakage current, and hence the difference between phase and neutral currents exceeds the tripping current(30mA is common) the RCD will operate and disconnect the faulty circuit. As RS has pointed out, in a split board the neutral must pass back through the RCD that the phase came through, otherwise the RCD will trip. Apart from this the regulations insist that the neutral shall be connected to the corresponding way an the board as the phase, so use phase terminal 3, then you must use neutral terminal 3, observe this Reg and all will be well on the RCD front.

19. Steven2011

Steven2011 Member

Yes so going back to my original question, would supp bonding be needed ? there is an electric shower in the bathroom, 2 light fitting which are out of zone 2 and are plastic Angle battens. Main gas and water have been earthed with 10mm.

Earthing cables been cut away - C3

No supp bonding as earthing cut away for lighting circuit in bathroom - C? If any ?

20. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

At one time all lighting was without CPCs.
    You could purchase T&E without the E.
    Where T&E was used, the E was generally cut off at the terminations.
    Where existing installations have been wired without a lighting CPC, one of the options is to ensure all fittings and accessories are class II provide the circuit(s) with RCD protection and place a warning label at the CU not to use class I fittings and accessories.