Easy 9 consumer units

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by 14th edition, Feb 22, 2017.

1. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

What carp they are!! No bottom entry knockouts, busbar cover blocks anything drilled from underneath and finally the spring clips that hold the hinges on have really sharp edges which protrude straight behind. I know this because I had a tight cu with a lot of cables in and when I put t the cover and had lovely dead short when I closed the cover....
    Wont be buying another one of those then!

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Must admit, the Merlin Gerin TPN boards and A boards are excellent, although slowly getting cheaper in quality than days gone by, but I agree, the cheapy easy 9 are very budget end. Their way of competing in the market place.

Certainly far worse around though!

3. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

crabtree boards are a total pain with the last i worked with (older type metal box plastic door) and was setting up as a replacement board (the spark i worked under did the final power and checks) to change any of the mcbs the full bus bar has to be un done and removed from all the mcbs (great safety feature mind)

4. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Never had a problem with Schneider boards myself, but haven't yet used a 3rd amendment one.

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I've done about 10 third amendment boards now and used Contactum on all of them, very pleased with them.

6. tina lucinda lane

am i the only 1 to have used a pre amendent 3 crabtree board (as i stated)? As im curious if any1 has and how they found them

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

A bad workman always blames his tools. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with Easy9+ and they are my favourite CU. Just because you can't handle them doesn't mean they are rubbish. As far as I know they do have bottom entry knock outs and bags of room. The busbar cover does fit if you know how. :)

8. tina lucinda lane

yes as the crabtree one i worked on had a 90° bend in it between the teeth and the bar (so if you fitted it the wrong way round it didnt fit)

9. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree the easy 9 are cheap sh!t.....Fitted 9 of them in to some new builds as got them cheap on a deal. Not a patch on Hager.

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yeah? I disagree. They ain't cheap and they ain't as bad as your making out. If you fit them regularly they get easier to fit. And I use RCBOs not dual RCD rubbish. If its the first time you've fitted them you probably bodged it. The busbar cover needs some getting used to. I can't comment on Hager as I haven't fitted one for about 10 years.

11. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

No I don't bodge things....and I've fitted 9 of them in to some new builds. They are tat compared to the likes of Hager.

12. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Yeah have to agree Hager prob best of all the boards I've fitted

13. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

The one I fitted definitely had no bottom knockouts because the bus bar cover effective blocks anything bottom entry. Maybe you had a different version Unphased but either way you should not be suggesting that I am bodging things....try a more diplomatic approach even if you misunderstand things...

14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

They do have bottom entry knockouts. You have to take the wires along the bottom and up the sides to enable the busbar cover to fit. It keeps all the wiring neat. Don't be so ******* touchy. I get blamed for that and it doesnt seem to matter to everyone else. I am not going to allow someone to trash a board just cuz they can't fit it properly. I CAN!

tina lucinda lane likes this.
  15. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select