Easyfiller over undercoat paint on newly plastered wall

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Theleman, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Hi all

Newly plastered the room, and they are dry ready to be painted. The plaster looked ok on its own, but when painted with undercoat, it is quite rough especially near the skirtings and also corners and the ceiling.

Could I fill thd holes with the easyfiller? It is in sachet white coloured powder. It gets mixed with water, and comes out as paste form. I used to use it for joining plasterboards and fixing wee rough bits on bare plaster. But not sure if it could be applied over the undercoat paint on the plastered wall.

Or maybe there are better ways and ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes Easi-Fil is fine to use, when you say undercoat paint do you mean a contract emulsion (non vinyl)?

3. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Yes it is water dillutable undercoat paint. I first primed the newly plastered walls with it dilluted 50:50 water.

It looks a bit patchy in parts. But was also concerned about some rough bits near the skirting and corners meeting with the ceiling, very bumpy.

Before putting the undercoat, I was either going to skim the rough bits with easyfiller or sand it down with an electric sander.

4. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I m wondering if applying easy fill over the undercoat paint will make the paint bubble up, blister and flake.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Unlikely!

6. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Yup seems to be holding well firmly. Thanks.

7. Turtletom100

Turtletom100 Member

Will be fine have had to do this many times when started plastering used to get trowel lines and little nicks here and there so I mist coat 50:50 then fill them, sand them, go over with white emulsion at about a 80:20 then top coat (s)

8. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

There are walls turned out ok after easyfiller on the undercoat paint, but one wall turned out to be very poor with big bubbles of easifill. What could be the problem?

I was going to sand it down for painting, but now it seems needing peeled off and more patching? image.jpeg

image.jpeg

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is it damp?

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sometimes this is known to happen, scrape it off, primer seal the area (oil base primer sealer) and carry on once dried as before.

11. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I don't think it's damp, but the undercoat paint was too thick. This part of the wall, I recall now, hadn't been primed.

Thanks for the advice. Will try to give ago fixing it.