EDF and Flashguard on Carrier

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by spoonmonkey, Jul 22, 2014.

1. spoonmonkey

spoonmonkey Member

Hi People,

I have a customer who has been told that require a new meter. The engineer came and refused to change the meter saying that the customer had to fit flash guards before they would carry out any work. There are catridge fuses protecting each property and I don't see any of them having flash guards. I've spoken to them and tried to get out of them exactly what remedial work they require but they keep repeating the same phrase.

The only thing I can think is the cracked mount you can see in the picture. I haven't seen any flashguard in these types of fuseholders before. Can anyone explain what they are looking to do? A picture can be seen at:

http://claireandmatt99.tumblr.com/

Thanks!

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Call out the your DNO to have a look at the cut outs. As it is there property they should agree to replace them all foc as those type can cause considerable problems when the carrier is pulled.

After they have all been replaced your meter installer will then fit new meter/s.

3. spoonmonkey

spoonmonkey Member

Its the age old arguement that a few years ago DNO's decided that none of that was their responsibility. I've argued it for a customer before and it took 6 months to get it sorted. I always thought the flashguard was the asbestos material inside rewireable fuses?

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I reckon as soon as the DNO clock the cut outs they will agree to replace them Spoon. Already the carrier back plate is starting to disintegrate, and the IP rating is somewhat questionable on the left and right outer ones. Who else apart from the DNO is responsible for them?

As for a flash guard? The DNO when working on them will use full flash guard face protection, as well as all clothing/gloves etc which conform to safe working practises within the eawr.

5. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

Who told them they need a new meter and why?
    One thing you have to remember that 99% of meter installers are idiots.. had one once that told a customer they had to down rate there electrical supply from 200A to 100A so he could install the meter he was given.

But you would need to speak to the supplier to rectify the problem with the damaged carriers.

6. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Thats a typical meter monkeys fast track training comment there, phone your supplier as been said

'kin meter readers!

7. stu1312

stu1312 Member

Could be a grey area on who is the owner of this equipment. If the dno have a large main incoming supply to a block of flats eg 200a that is the end of there network. If there is then cabling and sub fusing for each flat before the meter that is not necessarily there property unless the dno has adopted it. The owner of the building either all the tentants together or a single owner can be classed as a BNO (building network operator) and be responible for it's maintainence and upgrade if found to be defective. Bit of a can if worms if there is a problem finding who is responsible.

8. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

As above (stu1312)

Isn't the photo of a Ryfield board, or similar?

Not the DNO property, but the house / flat freeholder's responsibility.

9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Different DNOs work differently, and even then, each install is different. My DNO install and maintain the Ryfeild boards.