Edge Joining MDF before veneering...

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by T100, Jul 11, 2014.

1. T100

T100 Member

Hi All,

I'd be absolutely delighted if anyone can offer some tips or advice. I'm a complete novice.

I'm looking to create something similar to this floating sideboard.

The floating cabinets aren't a problem however, due to the size of cabinet I'm looking to make, finding a piece of wood the correct size to rest on top is proving difficult.

Therefore I've come to the conclusion that I will have to edge join some MDF and veneer over it for the desired affect.

The dimensions of the piece of wood I need are 4400mm long, 368mm wide, 25.4mm thick.
    1. What is the best method to join the edges? Kreg jig? Biscuit joining?
    2. How many pieces should I join together to make the above length?
    3. Any advice on veneering? Where can I find some good quality American Walnut Veneer? Can I stain Veneer?
    Many thanks for all your help.

T100.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Question 3, for veneer look on line for suppliers, ebays a good place though the length may be a problem.

3. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

I wouldn't bother with making it from bare mdf and veneering yourself, use a veneered mdf board to begin with, get a 19mm and 7mm board to glue together to get your thickness, you can get the top out of one sheet of each, then edge with veneer or a thicker strip of solid walnut.
    Considering you'll struggle to clamp up a length that size, I'd go for biscuits to align the tops and then pocket hole to draw it together.

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Not meaning to sound funny or anything but this is not a job for a novice really. I admire your ambition but this would be a real challenge.

I have done something very similar that was a shelf for a private bar. It was 4800mm long and was done out of maple veneered board. I ended up jointing it and using worktop bolts to pull it together. I had to grind them all down to about 12mm thick. Very awkward.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  5. Hi T100.

If you are going to do this, you need to start off by making sure you can get veneer in that sort of length, or else some way of joining it - perhaps multiple 'bookmatching'? Ie - make it a feature since you won't get away with it otherwise...

Anyways, making your actual MDF base is peasy; cut 12mm thick sheets into the desired widths, and glue 'em all together - staggering the joints. It's all going to be supported along its length, so no need for even biscuits. Except with yer cuppa.

6. T100

T100 Member

Thanks for all the contributions!

Devil's... Are you following me?!

Anyway, nice suggestion Devil's, I did actually think of staggering them as you suggested myself, although I will admit to it lingering in the back of my brain. You bumped it to the front!

Will glue be of sufficient strength to bond the two layers together?

So, now the hunt begins for some suitable veneer.

Thanks again guys, I've started two threads now and both have been very enlightening!

7. T100

T100 Member

Oooh, just one more question... How many pieces should I use when staggering?

8. Am I following you? Look out the window, man.

Anyways, creepiness aside, you only need 1 or 2 joints along its length - ie the fewest you can get away with. So a 2.4m sheet of MDF (what a shame one sheet won't do it all) cut into your 368mm strips (why so precise?!) would have one joint roughly in the middle on the bottom layer, and then a 2.4m length placed centrally over this joint on the top layer with a couple of end pieces added on.

Or the other way around.

You would, of course, cut the sheets slightly wider by a few mm, and then plane the edges down to flush them and get the panel to the desired width after it's all set.

Brush PVA over its whole surface, and either place weights on top to press down, or else you could pin or screw them together. Bear in mind they will be slippery!

Strong? You won't get them apart again. And it will be supported over its whole length? 'Cos what unsupported MDF will do is sag.

9. T100

T100 Member

Yo Devil,

Thanks very much again for the tips. Once upon-a-time I hated DIY, these days though, I look forward to getting a few splinters in my hands.

Thanks again.

10. Ooooh, MDF splinters are the worst ;)

MDF dust, tho', is really horrible - it'll make you itch and cough and possibly worse... :(

Good luck - keep us posted :)

11. T100

T100 Member

I'll be sure to get a mask!

Thanks again.