Education

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Harry Stottle, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

They just offered me a part time job lecturing at a college in Warwick, by the time I've done all the preparation work which isn't paid and got there I'd be working for almost nothing.
    Last time I did any at another college the quality of the students knowledge was so poor I had to teach them things they should have learned at school.
    I don't know whether todays school teachers are bad at their jobs or whether they can't impose any discipline, either way things need to improve. It's a pity that Michael Gove was sacked, he did start to put things right, this latest incumbent seems only interested in improving sex education for children.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the last appentice i had used to attend college on a tuesday, the lecturer would write a load of things they were to study on the colouredboard and then vanish, he told the lads in the class " don't come looking for me, when you've done the things on the board go home", as you can imagine as soon as the teecher goes, the lads are 5 mins at the back of him, this only came to light when my apprentice failed his exams and after i called him a thick tw4t and threatened to sack him he explained why and that 29 of the 30 lads in class also failed, I got in touch with the collage and tried to claim the tuition fees back but i did't get anywhere with it, that lad did't last much longer, he was a lazy,know it all with not an ounce of enthusiasum and i was glad when he left of his own accord, since then I work on my own, I'm not saying they're all bad,there's got to be a few good un's buy its a lottery finding one, ;)

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When I was at that college in 2008 doing my Level 2 in Electrical Installation they ran exams to see how the potential students did in numeracy and literature.

There were still some on the course who had difficulty in working with powers and SI units.

4. What's a power and SI unit?

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Internatianl System of units

For example;

10^3 is short for 1000 – normally written as 1k (i.e 1 kila)

or

10^-6 is 0.000001 – the 0’s after the point would be removed so written as 1µ (i.e 1 micro)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

good job i did't go your skool jitender, :(, it was all imperial when i went skool, proper stuff inches,feet,pounds shillings and pennies, then in 1970 some bugger brought metric in but only did half a job, we still have pints,gallons and miles, but feet and inches went, so now we'er getting 3meters of 15mm copper tube at ten bob a foot :eek:

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

When I was on't council, we used to have the first year apprentices for 6 months before they went on to their respective departments. We used to have someone come in from college once a week to take them for basic maths and english (something they damn well should have learn't at school) One lad were asked to fill a measuring jug to 1000 ml. Took him three attempts before he got it right. Tutor then asked him to take away 250ml (and leave 750ml in the jug) The lad poured all of the water away then re-filled it about 4 times before he got the right measurement (more by luck than anything else) Another lad was on the computer (to research summat) and asked me how to get to such, n such a site. I cleared the address bar at the top of the browser and told him to type in the address. Couldn't believe it when he started typing in his home address. !!! Honestly , kids these days are just thick.

8. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

As my old boss would say,,You can't teach stupid,,very true saying.;);)

9. What's a kila?

chippie244 likes this.
  10. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Another plumber in the making?:)

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Sorry it should of read kilo, which means one thousand. I.e 1 kilogram = one thousand grams.

12. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

where i live be buy potatoes in lb bags, ie 5 lb, 10 lb 56 lb, but if i'm posting a parcel they want to know how many kilos it wieght, I hope somebody sorts it out soon, :(

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not Spelling Incompetent then x

14. joinerjohn1

When I were at school I was looking through the Oxford English Dictionary and told the teacher, I've found a word spelled incorrectly. She said can you spell it out for me? So I said " i-n-c-o-r-r-e-c-t-l-y." :p:p:p:p

15. What does 'of' mean in this context?

chippie244 likes this.
  16. joinerjohn1

I think Jit means "have" instead of "of" One of my pet hates in the modern usage of the English language. ;);)

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That's what I meant. English wasn't particularly my best subject i.e D grade GCSE.

But got a C and double C award in Science and Mathematics.

18. "Double C"... fnurr fnurrr.

( :oops: sorry, Jit, I've been yanking your chain... :oops: )

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Should have
    Should have
    Should have
    Should have
    Should have
    Should have
    Should have

Rulland likes this.
  20. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select