EICR

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Lou1981, May 19, 2017.

1. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

A friend of mine was selling a house last year. The potential buyer was ? happy with the asking price, but then a few weeks before the date for signing, he phoned him up saying he wanted "This, that and the other" doing before completion. (at least a thousand pounds worth of work which didn't need doing) All rooms had been decorated. The buyer didn't like the "neutral" colour scheme and was initially insisting on the living room, kitchen bathroom and one bedroom being re-decorated in the colours of his choice. He wanted the skirting boards in the living room changing 5" torus to 3" pencil round and wanted the kitchen sink changing from one with two taps to one with a monobloc tap. I told my friend to stick to his guns and not do the work. He advised his solicitor that he was pulling out of the sale. A week later the same potential buyer says he'll now buy the house, but at a price £3000 less than his initial offer. My friend told him the asking price was now going up and the house was back on the market. With three days to go (on the initial completion date) the buyer phones up again offering the agreed asking price. None of the work asked for had been done. I tell you, there's people out there picking the slightest thing , in attempts to knock the price down.
    Just stick to your guns Lou. Get your own report on the condition of the electrics too.

Sparkielev likes this.
  2. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Hi Lou.

If that tester is telling you the wiring is correct then you have an earth at the socket. Whether the EFLI is correct is another matter, but without professional equipment you won't know that.

I suggest you get your solicitor to tell them if they are not happy you will get a profesional survey done and depending on the outcome will make the necessary price adjustment. If however, your survey finds no issues then the cost of that survey will be borne by them for not having a professsional independent assessment carried out and call their bluff. If they are happy their guy is honest they will agree to it, however if their guy is hookey they will back down. I had simiar problems with the buyers of our house a couple of years ago and they wanted indemnities for just about everything including the possibility of contaminated land from a bag containing some nappies that showed up on a search that happened about 20 years ago. I went nuts with them in the finish.

Hou have my sympathies, I know how stressful it gets.

Kind regards

3. Lou1981

Lou1981 Member

Thank you for all your replies!

Will not say anything and just wait for their electrical report. I am resigned to not moving next week now and will put the house back on the market regardless if I am not provided with a proper report tomorrow. Might get a higher offer and feel sure I will get someone to match theirs and can send them to my solicitors who will rush the sale through. At the very least there will be some form of response from them and it will get me an answer quicker than just sitting, worrying and wondering. They could carry this on for weeks and then I lose all my solicitors fees.

4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

They are trying it on. Remember that they have a house to sell and have a buyer waiting, failing to complete will mess them up more than you. Go outside and take off the 'Sold' sign and tell the estate agent to advertise it ASAP. Put the pressure back on the buyer and hold firm. Also ask the 'Electrician to return and put the earth back on the metal switch plate or provide a link from the box to the plate. If they do not do this you can get a sparkie in to do it and send the bill to the prospective buyers as their representative has damaged your electrical installation. CCU is OK all enclosures are sound, don't shout too loudly about only one RCD.

5. Lou1981

Lou1981 Member

They are first time cash buyers hence why I gave them the 5k discount no issues with buyers not getting the mortgage amount. I knew the property was sound and lendable on because I only bought it 3 1/2 years ago. They have attempted to send a picture message that I can't open and am feeling oddly pleased with myself for not responding to beg for a viewable copy :p

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Go back to the one that made the higher offer that you refused and see if they are still interested. You may find they are and if you need to, suggest a mid point price - so you get more and they pay less for moving quickly.

Jord86 likes this.
  7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I would think if you told the buyer you were pulling out, they would suddenly become compliant.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  8. Lou1981

Lou1981 Member

I got it wrong they hadn't tried to send the report yesterday, it was a business card with her contact number that failed to deliver.She attempted to call me at 5:30 when I was struggling to reattach the earth wire back to my light switches because the guy had lost the screws for earth.:mad: ( I eventually realised I could take one out of the unused terminal!)

She then sent this message,
    "Hi, the report is ready, would you like me to email you a copy? How would you like to go about resolving this matter? I was hoping to come to a comprise as soon as so that we can get the contracts exchanged and be able to meet Friday's deadline for completion.

I responded just to say what my email address is. I have received the email which is attached. I need help interpreting it please???

9. Lou1981

Lou1981 Member

10. Lou1981

Lou1981 Member

11. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Lou. I do not see the document. Scan it in as a Jpeg and then just drag it to the quote box.

Edit. Got it now

12. Lou1981

Lou1981 Member

Thanks for letting me know, I am just firing up my laptop...

I have a C1 rating for my oven....!

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

With all due respect - its not a good idea to post those docs on a public forum Lou

14. Lou1981

Lou1981 Member

I wasn't adding the bit with address just the list and the tick box section? Can you see it?

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Yes I see both sections Lou

16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

OK My comments on the first page

1. Its an existing circuit. Absence of RCD is NOT a C1. It is a C3 - improvement recommended. That's all

2. Upstairs lights. If the light fitting and the switch are plastic then an earth is not necessary. Even if they were metal it would be a C2.
    If they are metal, change them for plastic ones.

3. Seems there may be a minor wiring issue to sort out here, and does need investigation. I would be suprised if its more than an hour's work.

4. Need to see a picture of this, all the cable may need is a couple of cable clips. There's nothing to say that you must have cables in trunking in a bathroom, or anywhere. only that they should be supported.

5. I do not understand this. We need to know what size the cable is from the consumer unit to the cooker. If it is 6mm then a 40A MCB does comply with BS7671 unless the cable runs though thermal insulation or subject to high ambient temperature. If its just clipped to the wall then its fine.
    Cost to change the MCB from 40A to 32A = about £10. Even then its only a C3.

In a moment I'll post a link to a guide to EICRs and what the codes mean.

17. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Note that C1 means Danger present. Risk of injury. NONE repeat NONE of the items mentioned comes close to this.

Its all explained in here. Its a pity the "electrician" has not read it!
    Best Practice Guide 4 - Electrical Safety First

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  18. Lou1981

Lou1981 Member

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Oh come come those cables should really be in trunking tbqh - flipping heck

20. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Nothing is a C1. Poorly done report. If a ring is open circuit L, N, E, then it suggests no fault, but an open ring. A 20amp MCB would cure this. Downrating the cooker, another MCB. As to the heater, difficult to tell, but going by the poorly done report, I wonder if even this is an issue.

£150 absolute max, and thats being generous.