Electra Course

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by gryphon, Apr 16, 2014.

1. gryphon

gryphon Member

I first done my 17th Edition many years ago when it first came out. With all the amendments my company are putting through the course again.
    Has anybody used the 17th Edition exam simulator, if so any good or a waste of money.
    http://www.electacourse.com/index.html

2. smithyj

smithyj New Member

Yep. I used them. Very effective. I did my 17th Edition Course with them which included the exam simulator. Don't think I'd have passed without it. So, yes. I recommend them.

I see they claim that for the last couple of years every 17th Edition candidate they have had has passed. I believe them. I asked the exam centre I went to (somewhere off the M25 I think), and they said they were impressed with Electacourse candidates.

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The 17th course is supposed to teach you what you need to know not pass an exam. :)

4. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

My understanding, is that the courses are in fact just to get you a pass in the exam.

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

That's why our kids leaving school are clueless in the big wide world. They are required to pass exams not learn anything. A subtle difference. Examinations were intended to assess an individuals understanding of the subject. Not any longer. Examinations are a yardstick for how good you are at examinations, nothing to do with learning anything. Its the same for all now. The focus is passing exams and has no relationship to a persons understanding of the subject.

6. smithyj

smithyj New Member

Unphased, I don't think 17th Ed course is necessarily supposed to teach you the regs themselves. You're never going to be able to learn everything in the Wiring Regs, there is just too much there. I think City & Guilds are in a tricky place with this exam. Should they test people how much they know about the Wiring Regs, or should they test how to find and apply the correct regs. I think they are doing the latter. It is an open book exam so the exam can't be designed to test basic knowledge, the exam has got to be about knowing how to find the correct Reg references and make sure we are aware of relevant regs.

The course I did seemed to be doing that - it certainly helped me to know my way around the regs. Now I am using the onsite Guide and getting experience in actually making sure the work I am doing conforms to the regs. if I could afford it I would buy the electronic version of the regs which IET sells. Maybe next year.

7. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

The C&G 2382 only tests memory and ability to read a book. There is not enough time to look up the answer to every question so one has to be able to answer some questions without looking up answer to complete in time allotted but it requires no skill.

If the questions were worded giving a scenario combining multi regulations then it may have made sense but looking after your own safety having a different work to looking after your own safety and others is really a daft question who cares if it's called skilled or competent?

The main problem is changes where for years it was rule of thumb and it changes to historically it catches out the experienced electrician but allows the new guy to pass with flying colours. But it only came out in 2008 so it can only be 6 years since you took exam it seems a little pointless to repeat it!