Electratech Storage Heater Control Panel

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by scn1972, Nov 4, 2006.

1. scn1972

scn1972 New Member

I have inherited an Electratech system fitted, I think, in the mid 80's. The control panel/programmer is going berserk at the moment.

It is not allowing me to programme the system and is constantly beeping, the LCD is requesting to be programmed but wont actually allow me to do it.

The rest of the system is working fine manually so I'm hoping it is only a new control panel that I need.

I would be grateful for any suggestions anyone may have. Many thanks,

2. twin&earth

twin&earth New Member

Ok my friend.

Electratech is a German company who specialize in electrical voice data programing. Now I don't know the voice commands as they are in German. What i did was ring there helpline for the basic commands (much easier than studying German at night school).

Electratech LTD:- Tel +123 456 4555 564. (remember there an hour in front!!)

3. spud gun

spud gun New Member

Might be a bit of confusion here, Electratech was a storage heater control system installed in the Norweb/manweb areas in the 80s, to reprogramme the controller you have to ease it off its base and short out the two pins on the back whilst holding a key down, each key has a function displayed on it. If the keypad is defunct,there is not much you can do, AFAIK no spares are available.

I have removed Electratechs in the past and reverted to a conventional E7 system

4. scn1972

scn1972 New Member

Thanks Spud Gun for the prompt reply. Have done as you suggested

I removed the Keypad cover bridged the two pins at the bottom of the terminal block with a key pressed and the power on.

Initially there was some success in that I was able to programme the circuits, set the date time etc. But after a few moments the panel starts beeping eratically and can be programmed no further. The keys effectively become jammed and don't respond to any input.

If the keypad is defunct as it would seem are there likely to be any alternatives from other manufacturers? Fearing the worst - is it likely that the 'Electratech system' i.e. CB/consumer unit will have to be removed?

Is there any possibility of the radio switch being able to control the circuits as seems to be the case in my friends house who just has what appears to be a second consumer unit for his storage heaters?

5. widgetman

widgetman New Member

I may still have Electratech installation manual in with my stored info (ex Manweb spark 90,s) will post a reply if i come across it, it may help or at least point you in the right direction.If its only storage heating that needs to be switched a radio sw is fine, seem to remember electratech had its own tariff with mid day boosting for water and heating, simple E7 tariff will suffice. Widget

6. steedyl

steedyl New Member

Re Electratech Storage Heaters.

I have the electratech system in my flat. The power went off in the flat and now the Timer control unit is asking for a code. An electrician looked at the system did something and left. Now 2 of the heaters trip out at the main Electratech Junction box about 5 mins after i push the switches up. I don't know if this is related to the timer. I doubt the system has been looked at or serviced in the last 10 years. Do you know of anyone who is familiar with this system that could have a look, repair or service the system.. Many thanks

7. Keith Myerscough

Keith Myerscough New Member

I know it has been a while since this was posted but I used to fit the electratech systems. I know how to re program and what to do if keypad packs in.

8. shewesley

shewesley New Member

HI Keith,moved into a flat with Electratech control,i have been away for a few days,came back & the contro lpanel is not working( it was ok before),nothing is lit up & when I press 'set' nothing happens, fuses seem to be ok,can you help?

9. Tomd

Tomd New Member

Hi, I've also got problems with the electra tech control panel. None of the buttons are working and it won't stop buzzing. The electratech box which is by the fuses seems to keep tripping as well. My landlord is away on holiday and not sure what I can do to sort it out. Any help much appreciated!

10. Brien lynch

Brien lynch New Member

Hello there can you forward details as my system has keypad that has become faulty due to power surge

11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Brien its unlikely you will get a response. Keith has only posted that one message nearly two years ago. Many keypads have a reset button or a means of factory reset. Try that.

12. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

See if this helps.

Kind regards

Attached Files:

13. Mr Jenks

Mr Jenks Member

As an ex NORWEB spark whom used to install these damn things, my advice would be to rip the bleedin thing out!
    There are no spares available and it was sold as a gimmick to people whom had no access to a mains gas supply in their area.

regards
    Mr Jenks

Louise Sanderson likes this.
  14. Bazza-spark

Ah Mr Jenks

I too am ex Norweb and was based in Macclesfield. Didn't install them but repaired a couple.

Kind regards

BS

15. Louise Sanderson

Louise Sanderson New Member

Wonder if anyone can help me. We have an electratech system and the heaters have been tripping. I flick the switches on the main box to turn them on again and after 10 mins they trip and the heaters go cold.
    Please help as I have a disabled daughter with heart problems and need to keep her warm.
    Many thanks in advance.

16. Bazza-spark

It could be damp causing the problem. Try turning the thermostats down to minimum and see if they will stay on. Once they start to dry out you should be able to turn them up again.

Kind regards

BS

17. Louise Sanderson

Im going to be really simple now but where are the thermostats? Are they the dials underneath a flap on the heaters themselves? If they are theres 2 dials, input and output, which is it that I turn?

18. Bazza-spark

Yes, that is it. Turn the input dial down.

19. Louise Sanderson

Thank you I'll give this a go. I'll let you know how we get on.

20. Louise Sanderson

No they don't stay on, they keep tripping off.
    I'm at a loss as to what to do. My electric box is 7" high so I have to keep climbing a bloody ladder every 10 mins if nothing else I'll be fit.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015