Electric planer on plasterboard?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Deano070578, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Deano070578

Deano070578 Member

I'm trying to put up a plasterboard ceiling between floor joists in a back room in a farmhouse to keep part of the beam exposed. What a job! The joists aren't all lined up and trying to cut the plasterboard to go between the joists is a nightmare.

Is it safe to use an electric planer to take off a few millimetres here and there If I use a face mask? I know it is messy but it is being renovated!

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Possible I suppose, but as you say messy and risky in the sense it will take it off really quickly, a plasterboard rasp is the tool to use, easy to use not as messy and only about a tenner.

Wholesale-Export-Quality-Wallboard-Rasp-Plasterboard-Planer-Gypsum-Board-Planer-Trimmer.jpg

3. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Why don't you just use an old Rasp,works well on plaster board just to remove a few mm in places.;)

4. plumberboy

Beat me to it buy a few seconds Phil.:)

Phil the Paver likes this.
  5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

That what the wife says. :p:p

plumberboy likes this.
  6. plumberboy

Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!! Nice one.:p:p:p:p

7. Deano070578

Deano070578 Member

thanks guys - I'll get one of those - otherwise I'll be like a snowman with my electric planer!

8. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

Just cut the board a few mm smaller. The gaps will be filled with plaster etc.