electric shower going hot and cold

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by charlie11, Oct 30, 2014.

1. charlie11

charlie11 New Member

I am having problems with my mira sport shower , it starts hot then goes cold and keeps on doing this, I have checked the filter which was a little dirty but made no difference. The shower head is clear and there seems plenty of power. I am not sure how to check the heating element, there are 4 electrical connections sticking out of the heater tank the nearest ones to the outside are linked with a plate, I believe these are the neutral side of the elements. I know it is long winded but I wanted to give as much information as possible

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It's most likely to be a faulty thermostat, I replaced one on a Mira for a similar problem a few months ago.
    The customer ordered the new part, I think he got it from The Shower Doctor, an on-line spares supplier.

FatHands likes this.
  3. charlie11

charlie11 New Member

Hi.
    Thanks for the quick reply. There is a thermal switch is this the same thing as I cant seem to find the thermostat on the parts list. Also if this is faulty would it just not heat up at all?

4. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Make sure there is sufficient water flow.
    Has anything changed recently.
    The larger showers, 10.8Kw need unrestricted 15mm flow rates.(This means a FULL BORE isolator in line with it, not the cheap ones.
    Once you have the inlet pipe open...flush the line...debris will fall back with flow off and then block the inlet when water is turned back on.
    RS

FatHands likes this.
  5. charlie11

charlie11 New Member

Hi,

Yes there is plenty water flow,it is a 9.8 kw and has been in for about 8 year. There is nothing that has changed.

6. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Sounds like the missus :D Don't tell her :eek:

7. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

:D

8. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Some of these showers have 2 elements.
    2nd element's supposed to kick in at higher pressures.
    It maybe that the 2nd element has failed?

9. charlie11

charlie11 New Member

Thanks for all the replies, going to bite the bullet and get a new one.