Electric shower keeps cutting off

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by BasedGod, Aug 20, 2016.

1. BasedGod

BasedGod New Member

Hi,

I was hoping somebody could point in the right direction with a fault that has recently occurred with my electric shower.

The shower is a Bristan Glee 9.5kw which we have had for about 5 years.

The shower was working fine until about a month ago when the shower started turning off, seemingly randomly.At first it wouldn't happen very often and if you waited (without pressing any buttons) it would come back on. However recently it has been doing it much more frequently and the waits are much more longer, it is like playing Russian roulette in the morning.

I've tried turning it on and off at the shower and at the pullcord but it doesn't seem to make much difference. It seems to do it even when nobody is using any of the taps so I don't think it would be low water pressure. Also when the shower goes off, the light does not go off at the pullcord.

Any pointers for what the problem is would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Very likely it's an overheat 'stat tripping on the heating cannisters.

Do you like your showers hot?!

Possible causes? I guess a restricted water flow is the most likely. Can you check if there's an inlet water filter in the shower? Also check the shower head to see if it's scaled up - do you have hard or soft water?

Try running the shower on a lower setting - that upper knob on 1 or 'eco' - and see if it runs ok like this.

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

scaled up heater can? as its 5 yrs old? you in a hard water area? wiring fault inside shower, loose /burnt connection.Does it just stop running or go cold?
    We're like doctors , the more you tell us!

4. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

A 5 yr old electric shower starts to play up, too much inside, replace it for what they are now, this outfit do a 8.5KW shower for £50.00

5. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

who want an 8 kw shower that will only run cold in the winter------lol---------rs

6. nigel willson

Q. why would you replace a 9.5KW with a 8KW?

7. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Contrary to popular belief, you can still get a decent hot shower from an 8.5KW unit

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Only if you run around in the shower:D

9. retiredsparks

I had a 10.8 kw in last place....and it was only just acceptable in the winter....with a half decent flow.
    Wonder why they make anything bigger than 8.5 kw if they are sufficient ?
    RS

10. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Depends what you expect from a shower....if you're used to high flow rate rain head type showers fed from a pumped cylinder or combi, an 8.5 is going to feel like warm **** on full bore.

leesparkykent and seneca like this.
  11. retiredsparks

when we were young we use to dream about warm **** on full bore.....lol
    RS

12. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Now I'm older that's what I dream about. :(

13. retiredsparks

It was a vague reference to the Yorkshiremans sketch by Monty python, but i know where you are coming from :(
    RS

14. Marshall Mosby

Marshall Mosby New Member

The water flow probably gets restrained which in turn makes the shower go off. Check with the water flow.

15. nigel willson

Having reread the op, goes on and off would suggest a terminal somewhere is overheating/ burning , either in shower or switch poss

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Descale the shower head!

17. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Thermal cutout on top of heater-can self resets. A shower running hot/cold constantly is nearly always due to the thermal cutout tripping in/out. This is usually due to low flow, due to poor pressure, blockage, scale etc. Check filter, clean shower head.

The low pressure neon would also usually illuminate, if present.

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Could also be the loose terminal/poor connection in the pullcord switch.

Neon won't always go out if there is still some connection but not enough to supply shower.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really