electric vented hot water cylinder

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jonnym2, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Jonnym2

Jonnym2 New Member

Hello
    I`m after a bit of advice about hotwater.
    Its a bit of a complicated back story but I will try to make it brief. The village has no mains gas, my house has no central heating, just storage heaters, the electric into the house is very low Amps. We`re renovating currently and planing to incorporate some out buildings to main house roughly doubling the footprint. Were going to get either an oilfired or LPG boiler when we convert the out buildings.

In the mean while we`re going to heat the existing place on woodfire stoves and electric heaters for the next 18months/2years while we get the building works complete. But we also need hot water, the only way to heat it is electric. The bathroom has been moved and my first thought is to fit a vented hot water cylinder and use an immersion to heat it, and take a hit on the cost for a couple of years, even if its reheated 2-3 times a day. It needs to feed the bath, bathroom basin, and kitchen, eventually it will just feed that bathroom and at that point could be plumbed into the boiler or woodfire stove back boiler. Its for 2 adults a 5 year old and twins babies (arriving any time now).

I`m thinking of around a 200l direct cylinder an 40l cold tank(possibly a combined cold water feed and the hot water cylinder), but is it OK to get one with fittings for a boiler heat source and cap them off and only use it with the immersion in the short term. I have seen them with fittings for two immersions but as mentioned the mains into the house is too low amps for that.

Thanks for any advise

Jon

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Get an economy 7 cylinder they have more insulation than a normal one. 50mm rather than 25. Heat it at night along with the storage heaters. Should be capacity cos I assume there was a cylinder the b4. You can top it up with a 2nd element wired for on peak. That will be the cheapest way to do it.

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

You only use one at a time!

4. Jonnym2

Jonnym2 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I did'nt realise you only used one at once!

The storage heaters have gone, and the fuse board relocated away from the economy 7 meter, which makes it difficult to run cable from. Its only in the short term we need to heat the house on electric and were going to use a mix of heaters.

I was trying not to have to fit the HW cylinder twice, but rather have the ability to run the CH boiler in to the existing tank when available( there will be plenty of easy access to run new copper work). At the moment I've made piece with the fact its not going to be cheap in the short term.

Thanks
    Jon

5. Jonnym2

Jonnym2 New Member

Just thought I would add a catch up just incase anyone else stumbles over this post.
    I've spoken to a couple of cylinder manufacturers, you can just cap of the heating coils in an indirect cylinder and only use the immersion only, but the cooling effect of the coils and the depth of the immersion heater may only allow the top 2/3rds to heat up properly.
    On an electric only cylinder you can use two immersions at once this just depends on how you wire it up, there is no hard and fast rule, but using two at once dramatically cuts reheat time and dramatically increases your electric bill. Still don't know which way to go with this, when I've decided and its fitted I will try to update the thread.

Thanks
    Jon