Electrical Connections for Domestic Air Con Unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Damian30, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Damian30

Damian30 Member

Anyone in the West Midlands fancy sorting this out for me!

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Just pull the flaming thing orffffffffff the ring final and stuff op - cor flipping eck

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Eeeee by gom lud

4. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

I have seen the feed run from the CU on the outside in 20 mil black conduit to the exterior unit........... Not the best but it did not look too bad

5. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

with 2.5 t&e inside Flats?

6. kathekas

kathekas Member

I live in Cyprus, so you can imagine AC installs are very common.

AC units are feed from a radial, and C type breaker. To a fused connection unit in the room, then to the ac unit.

It is recommended that the AC unit is switch off at the fused connection unit in the room when not is use, as small amount of power is used in the standby mode.

On the roof, screwed to the compressor is rotary isolation unit. So if some is working on the compressor they have control over the isolation.

I would never take a feed to the ac unit straight from the board.

7. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Can't remember fats 2.5 or 4 ????????????

FatHands likes this.
  8. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Surprised the old cable jointer has not put his head round the door on this one as he, so say has the gold key to the crapper on Air-con ?

9. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

How do you plan to feed the Evaporator (indoor unit) usually A/Cs are a feed to the outdoor unit (compressor) via a local isolator, and a feed taken from the outdoor unit to the indoor unit

10. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Kinnell!

What a load of ****** gets spouted on ere! :rolleyes:

OP, The Mitsi unit in question is a bog standard designated 3.5kW Split A/C unit.

Yes ideally it should have a 16A Radial feed from the Dis Brd, however it will run just fine if needs must off a 13A Spur. Indoor is fed from outdoor via 4 core SY or similar.
    Don't confuse 'Refrigeration KW' with 'Electrical KW loadings'

It is also (as most are nowadays) an Inverter unit so has no high inrush on start up as Flateric incorrectly keeps harping on about.
    This unit also requires installation (pipework wise) by an accredited F-Gas installer such as Moi!
    It will also require an indoor unit electrical Condensate pump wiring in if Free Drain aint possible.
    Outdoor unit will need drainage also if used in Heat Pump mode.

OP do U possess Pressure Testing equipment and a Oxygen Free Nitrogen Bottle?
    Have you a Vacuum Pump?
    Have you a Vacuum Gauge which registers to 3 Torr
    Have you R410A Guages?
    Have you a Class 1 F-Gas Certificate?
    Are you registered with Refcom?

:rolleyes:

sparky Si-Fi and MGW like this.
  11. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

At last some one can read. I also looked at the heat output and first glance thought of it as electrical but as one reads down it clearly states the amps required. It also has inverter written all over it so inrush is not a consideration.

So bit he is interested in is:-
    System Power Input (kW) - Heating / Cooling (nominal)0.955 / 0.91
    System Power Input (kW) - Heating / Cooling (UK)0.87 / 0.73
    Starting Current (A)4.4
    System Running Current (A) [MAX] - Heating / Cooling4.4 / 4.2 [8.5]
    Fuse Rating (BS88) - HRC (A)10

Although it says 10A fuse it does not draw 10A so well under the 2000W limit for powering off a ring final. I have to agree with sinewave it would seem people need to learn how to read it's all given in the link.

Would be interesting to find out what type of inverter? It would seem two very different ways of using an inverter. It can be a simple soft start with motor running at consent speed or it can be used to vary the output I would guess the latter? So very likely only drawing an amp for most of the time.

12. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

'bout time you put us all straight , I was just about there, HNY you old fecker!

sinewave likes this.
  13. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Still chuggin' along Matey!

Tiz not like the good ole days on ere is it? :(

sparky Si-Fi likes this.
  14. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

MGW

A/C Inverters generally alter the frequency to change the speed of the compressor.