Electrical socket regs HELP

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by daniel edwards, May 29, 2016.

1. daniel edwards

daniel edwards New Member

Hi I am having my house rewired and to save on costs i will be doing the chasing out and was just woundering what are the regs for for the positioning of the sockets i know the min height is 450mm and max height is 1200mm but i am not 100% sure on
    1. minimun socket distance from corner and is the light switch distance different ?
    2. socket heights in kitchen above and below and behind cabinets ?
    3. socket distance from kitchen sink ?

cheers dan

2. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

The accessibility of sockets and switches only applies to new builds or sometimes major refurb projects.
    I will always inform customers about the height requirements for accessories (that apply to new builds)when doing a rewire, but also make them aware that its their decision as to where they want them.
    Most prefer to go with new regs.
    Distance from corners, do what you want.
    Cupboards, same.
    Kitchen sink, I don't think theres a reg on this, per-say, but 200mm rings a bell.
    Sure there'll be more input on that one.

J.K.Murphy likes this.
  3. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

just make sure you do it all correctly I have had this and the customer incorrectly boxed up. costly mistake for patchwork. also what tools are you going to be using it doesn't take a good spark long to chase. you may find its much easier to just pay for it to be done correctly.

4. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

as for your questions as above it only applies to new builds or if you wish to rent or sell on the property. read up on the building regs part M. if you wish to chase get a on-site guide cheap and will be very helpful with cable runs etc.

5. daniel edwards

daniel edwards New Member

Thanks for the replies the house is a 1960 house and is having a full rewire everything ripped out and all new, i have an armed box cutter set and sparky wall chaser to do all the chase work, from what i have read over the past few weeks that the sockets in the kitchen should be 150 mm above worktop and min 450mm behind cabinets for washing machine and dishwasher. i did read that sockets should be 350mm from corner for sockets and 100mm for light switches not sure how true this is.

6. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Do you mean if your having a re-wire done for the purposes of renting or selling?
    Never knew that, if correct!
    ?

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Generally, if you got holes there already, re-use them.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Minimum socket distances from floor are for new-builds, reason being is for elderly so they can reach the sockets if in a wheelchair or unable to bend down to plug something in. Good practice to follow the building regs for a re-wire though but not compulsory.

Sockets above a worktop have to be a minimum of 150mm above the worktop this is just so that the cable coming out the plug has enough room as to not cause damage to the socket or appliances cable.

Distance of sockets from sink or areas that could splash water is 300mm(30cm).

No minimum for sockets under counter behind cabinets but the socket must be accessible easily and must have a fused switch above the counter to facilitate it being turned on or off without requiring you to struggle under the counter reaching behind a cupboard.

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Regulations and common-sense don't automatically amalgamate with one another..hence the use of departure box.

10. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Normally 1150mm to the top of the box in a kitchen. Electricians guide to the building regs recommend a distance of 300mm from the edge of a sink/hob.

11. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Departures are only permitted by BS7671 where they afford at least the same degree of safety as compliance with BS7671. They are not there as a way of avoiding complying with Regulations.

12. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Must have a fused switch above the counter. Lol.

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Not so Fire!

14. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Are we referring to the switch above the counter for the socket bellow the counter?

15. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes, although it is convenient and sensible to be able to isolate a socket below the worktop from a switch above there is no MUST about it.

16. fire

fire Well-Known Member

That is fair comment, i do it out of normal practice always without fail so hence i say must but if it is not a must then i stand corrected on my terminology.:p