Electricians career info pls

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jaffa0204, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Jaffa0204

Jaffa0204 New Member

hi I am 30 and unemployed and I want to become a electrician I was just wondering what the the best way to get started. I no I am a late starter but I've had to deal with a lot of personal problems but now they are sorted I can now finally sort myself I have worked on building sites I no basic electrics like wiring plug sockets and light fixings I no how to chase walls. I no it won't be easy and I no most companies are after younger people but I no when I am qualified and get a job as a electrician most companies would want to keep me because I am a grafter and always make shore the job is done right and make shore everyone is happy with the work I've done before I pack my tools. I hope I can get some good info and not to many people being rude about me being unemployed

2. the kneebreaker

the kneebreaker New Member

3. dale76uk

dale76uk Member

Where are you based? I'm happy to provide training if your not too far???

4. Jaffa0204

Jaffa0204 New Member

Hi I am based in walsall. Do you no what would be the best books to read about electrics

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

A school book that shows the correct use and spelling of English might be a start. ;);) (just saying like)

6. R&S Electrical

R&S Electrical New Member

Hi Jaffa I started at 30 and my business partner was 35. 8 years in and we have a nice little business. The bad news is it was hard then to get in to the trade as an older learner and it's harder still now. I did the old 2330 course for 3 years at college and then did my 17th, 2391 a few other courses in a forth year but also worked free of charge for 4 years one or two days a week for a local firm who cover a good scope of work types. If you can get on a college course do it but the only real way you will learn is with a reputable company who are willing to hire you or give you the benefit of their experience. We are in Wales and looking for an apprentice but just keep getting kids in track suits and funny hair who have a mobile phone glued to their hand!

7. Jaffa0204

Jaffa0204 New Member

If I lived in Wales or a bit closer I would of ask you if u would take me as an apprentice. I am going to get in touch with a few companies and the collage tomorrow I hope I get some luck and someone is willing 2 take me on

8. caralec

caralec New Member

Get yourself on a City and Guilds level 2 2330 course and do your BS7671:2008 17th Edition and offer your services as an unpaid lackey to any local sparks.
    I'm 35 and I've just done this and have managed to secure a job as an improver and can honestly say I love it!

9. chromedome

chromedome New Member

Right, here goes!

You're first step is to go on a Level 2 electrical course, either the EAL 1605 or the City & Guilds 2365 Technical Diplomas (2330 died 2 years ago), upon completion of that get yourself on the Level 3 progression from your Level 2 course. Again you can do either the EAL option or C&G option. Level 3 isn't easy and is a lot tougher than the old 2330 Level 3 so get working hard in L2!

After that, enroll on the NVQ Level 3, speak to your college about this. You can start the NVQ 3 while doing your Tech Dip as long as you are working in the electrical industry. When you get about 80%+ of the through the NVQ 3, you may have to look at doing the AM2, which is a 3 day independent assessment and you can use some if this towards your NVQ3.

You will also need to get the 17th Edition Wiring Regs Bs7671:2008 also.

That's the way to get fully qualified, any questions then just ask and I'll try & help.

Jitender likes this.
  10. chromedome

chromedome New Member

Talk to your local college and see if they can recommend anyone from their courses, they would usually have some great full-time students or adults that wanting get into the game. It makes them mad that the good capable kids get left behind and the scroats get the apprenticeships!

11. chromedome

chromedome New Member

Oh and before you ask, EAL are an awarding body like City & Guilds. The NICEIC are now endorsing EAL and have turned their backs on the Guild. Both products are exactly the same, assessment methods may differ slightly but you will get the same quality at the end of it

12. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

I look back and really wish I had not bothered working as an apprentice for 5 years, on low money, going to night school 2 evenings a week....and not going out with my mates at weekends........lol.
    These are also the exact sentiments of a foreman sparks I worked with....whose brother would bum around playing the guitar......who later became a very popular and wealthy member of a well known pop group.
    RS

13. Jaffa0204

Jaffa0204 New Member

Thank you for all the great info there is an open day on the 19th November at my local college. I am going to talk to them about starting c&g 2365 technical diplomas and hope they let me on the course.

FatHands likes this.
  14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I did C&G 2330 Level 2 Certificate in Electrotechnical Technology in 2008-2009.

I am thinking of going back to college to complete Level 3. As the qualifications have changed, do I have to redo Level 2 or can I go straight on to Level 3?

I did learn a lot there, as well as on this forum, but I have decided I want to do something with my life.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      704.7 KB
      Views:
  15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

No Jit you use the Level 2 as an entry requirement on to level 3, you don't need to retake it. The college will advise.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Thanks Up

The college brings out its prospectus in April for the September courses, I did the 2 evenings a week course, but would prefer to do it on a day.

I have got all the coursework and textbook, so will refresh myself in the meantime. I do feel I am ready now to do the Level3.

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Then go for it. :) I admire people who like to better themselves. :)

FatHands likes this.
  18. Hayemaker

Hayemaker New Member

i will jump on this bandwagon :) ... i am 33 and am currently doing my level 3 .. have passed entry,leel 1,level 2 ... if anyone from the medway area in kent would be willing to let me come on jobs with them a couple/few days a week i would very much appreciate the on site experiance and learning that you dont get from a college classroom. i do drive And i would not want any payment unless you want me to do some actuall work lol .. i just really need to watch learn and gain experiance. Message me for my mobile number :)

19. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I did it in stages. Started as a mechanic, then auto electrician, then plant electrician, then maintenance electrician, then installation electrician, then electrical engineer. I did not take any exams in mains work until late in life although had my mechanics, technicians, and auto electrics exams. Did the C&G2391, 2381 and PAT testing one following the other at night class, then took level 5 electrical and electronic engineering and finally C&G 2382.

I was fully employed until I got my degree since then never worked. But to be frank that was more due to an industrial accident than anything else. I found when looking for a job employers were more interested in my abilities to program a PLC and fault find on production lines than what paper qualifications I had. One today can't learn in the same way as years ago. When I started most star/delta starters were wired the same. Today one has to read the book with the inverter to work out how to program every make is different. Getting PROFIBUS to talk to the inverter or ASi can be a real pain. And one never stops learning.

Yes I have done house bashing but only when no proper jobs were around. I found one had to work hard to house bash all day every day, but maintenance boss was happy to see you drinking tea this meant all was running. OK when it did break down it was really go for it but most days it was a doodle. I would spend hours trying to re-program machines to knock a few seconds off the time taken to make a concrete block.

Today house bashing has moved on. Some of the home automation is as complex as industrial stuff now. What is now becoming a problem for older electricians is the maths involved. When I was an apprentice there was no such thing as dotted decimal and I thought imaginary numbers was something accountants used. When I went to do my degree and saw how things had moved on since I started it was frighting. To me logs was getting out a set of tables to help with multiplication, I knew it was to do with powers of numbers but had never needed to work with them in the way we do today.

As to if you use them in every day electrics likely no. I like many others I am sure have written programs in java script so I can just bang in the numbers on a PDA and get a quick answer. But one has to write the program in the first place. Rummer has it the rules are about to change on the voltage used to calculate size of MCB required if/when that happens I will have to re-write my java script and until done work it all out the hard way. So out with the slide rule.

unphased, Hayemaker and FatHands like this.
  20. Hayemaker

Hayemaker New Member

it sounds like you have certainly learnt your trade in most areas electrical ... the maths i'm finding quite hard tbh as i am a hands on learner and learning in a classroom with book and wipeboard .. none if it sticks in my head and end up not taking it all in hence why i need to get out there BUT i cannot just get out there and do anything because people who have me working for them want me to know everything i forget in the classrooms lol ... worst of two evils tbh. I'll persevere as it is something i'm passionate about achieving.