Electrics for a detached garage

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by johnclapton, Apr 28, 2016.

1. johnclapton

johnclapton New Member

Just had a new 8 metre long x 3.5 metre width single garage built and now need to get the electrics sorted.
    There is a 6 mm armoured cable supply from the house (6 metres away) and I want to get power sockets and lighting installed. There will be 4 x 2 gang power sockets + 1 external weather proofed socket and 2 fluorescent lights to be installed.
    Does anyone know what size twin core and earth cable will I need and what type of fuse box will I need to order?

2. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

John,have you checked whether or not this comes under part p of the building regs? If it does then you could end up paying more by doing the job yourself then trying to get a certificate on it than it would cost to get a tradesman in.Not totally sure whether it's under part p as I'm mainly industrial/commercial,hope this helps save you any problems.If it is possible for you to do it yourself then it's 2.5 for the sockets and 1.5 for the lighting,you can get what is termed a "garage" consumer unit from Screwfix,it will have a 32A and a 6A mcb in and an RCD mainswitch,make sure it's a metal one,as this is required under BS7671.

3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Don't worry he will do it all himself and just get a spark in to make the final connection and cert it.

nffc likes this.
  4. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Its a sparks job for sure this, a lot of legalities need to be adhered to but no one cares or listens anymore until its too late

Fill your boots and do it yourself, what's the worst that can happen is you will be running around after for a third party 'sign your liability away' when you finish and the time comes to move

Good luck!!

5. johnclapton

johnclapton New Member

Thanks Phil - I have absolutely no intention of doing this job myself (despite the other comments below) but thought I might be able to get the electrical supplies in from Screwfix.
    I also thought that I could do the "carcassing" in terms of threading (but not connecting) the cable around the internal perimeter wall and roof of the garage.
    The 6mm armoured cable has already been run into position inside the garage (during construction by the builder)

No - I have no intention of meddling with electrics - I will employ a qualified "sparks" for the job!

6. Bennjy12345

Bennjy12345 Member

Get a spark in. Suggest that you will supply materials and ask for a list. Explain you would like to run the armoured cable in and see if he is happy with it. If not don't moan allow him or her to do there job correctly. You would let a random person off the street solder up your gas supply so why should electrics be any different.

7. sparky Si-Fi

The minute someone decides to buy all the kit is when I say I'm out. . WILL ALWAYS GO WRONG!

Fed up with incorrect stuff being given and day rate and some will be the price

Leave it alone and let the sparks do his job. .

Risteard likes this.
  8. sparky Si-Fi

Does anyone know what size twin core and earth cable will I need and what type of fuse box will I need to order?

Yeah, your sparkie will do it all. .

Bennjy12345 likes this.
  9. peter palmer

Even if its genuine and people want to buy the stuff themselves, why? The electrician will supply better quality stuff and even with his markup on it will probably be cheaper than retail anyway. If the customer doesn't trust you to not rip him of buying the stuff then he's not worth working for.

sparky Si-Fi and Risteard like this.
  10. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

You cannot purchase electrical installation materials cheaper than an Electrician. Especially when you're not even sure what to purchase or cable sizes etc.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

12. fire

fire Well-Known Member

O.M,Days... the electricians wanting their false monopoly for work are out in force today.

This is a free country and damn right proud of it too. If people want to DIY they can do and do it they will regardless. Building Control and the Health and Safety Executive body are ONLY interested in commercial entities carrying out work, Gas or Electrical.

A DIY person does not fall into this category and never will as it is against the law to put a DIY person under Civil enforcement unless he himself has carried out this work commercially, that means taking payment for it. That is not and never will be DIY(Doing It Yourself)

If you wish to retain a manufacturers warranty they will need a valid safety test certificate and a Building Control certificate. If you require non of these then DIY is perfectly legal unless you kill someone including yourself.
    Thats it, stop moaning and whining about getting in a spark, the screfix forum is run by screwfix which sell to the public for DIY. This forum is setup by them for their customers to ask questions and talk about screwfix related stuff, and they sell electrical installation supplies.

So called professionals CAN NOT do it cheaper than DIY, sorry to let you into the secret here but it is called the internet and net neutrality. Anyone can use it to source items at the same price even cheaper than a professional can.

The internet has destroyed allot of industries and gave birth to a world of new ones while at the same time provided liberty and freedom to the whole world population. You either join it or get left behind... It really is that simple.

tina lucinda lane likes this.
  13. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

They may want something but it certainly ain't called a monopoly.
    I am all for DIY and the likes of SF giving easy access to trade supplies and using the internet as a great source of open source knowledge. For without it, I would have to get rip-off plumbers in to fix my leaking taps.

But seriously, there is a difference between the skilled people in here who use their hard earned knowledge and depth of experience to earn a living from a trade giving back by helping out others in that trade, and giving free advice to those DIYers looking to save a few bob.

DIY = Do It Yourself, so as you say nothing to stop them getting on with it.

This weekend I am going to change the swinging arms on a car (DIY) and I don't expect I'll be welcome to pop over to Jim at the garage to ask how it should be done, after I rejected his quote. But I am sure lurking somewhere on the Internet is a Peugeot nerd who has posted a YouTube video that will be a sort of help. Peer-to-peer support as it is called - or as some say - the blind leading the blind.

nffc, chippie244 and fire like this.
  14. fire

fire Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to help advise you on them swing arms. I changed enough of them especial on my old Alfa Romeo. Damn Italian cars are nice but seriously needy.

I done myself out of business many a time advising, they have always recommended me which has turned into good profits and so on. I feel if someone wants you to do the job they should not because of their lack of ability but their want for you to do it.

15. sparky Si-Fi

I sometimes talk a walk up the Electrical Aisle in B+Q and some of the other sheds. . .you want to hear some of the things they talk about to each other picking things up, looking at it, turning it over head scratching and asking the individual who has the orange overall on. .

I wince at DIY'ers trying to do a skilled job to save a few quid

With sign labelled workwear your a free advice magnet to them as well!

Perhaps I could wear an embroidered polo shirt stating I am a solicitor who specializes in divorce situations, wonder how much free advice I would give out then. .

16. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

I love a walk around B+Q listening to people being told what they need by the "experts" then stepping in and telling them what they really need and where to get it from cheaper,I once met a couple who were buying some fancy metal sockets and switches for their house,25 quid each in B+Q,I sent them to toolstation,exact same socket,same make for a tenner,and a deal on a pack of five,they were well chuffed,I thought the woman was gonna kiss me.lol

17. peter palmer

We have blue t-shirts and when in Tescos I get asked where stuff is all the time, I could tell them I don't actually work there but its far funnier to send them to the opposite end of the store to where they are.

18. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

lol...no, he wont even do that.

RS

19. johnclapton

johnclapton New Member

Why do you even bother to join this forum with totally inappropriate comments and no sign of a constructive suggestion anywhere.

20. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Not true. If Joe Public or Josephine Citizen walks into an electrical wholesaler they are most unlikely to receive materials at the same price as a trade account holder.

sparky Si-Fi likes this.