Electrics on a new fitted kitchen

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Daver77, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Daver77

Daver77 New Member

Right, I am fitting our new IKEA kitchen, will have some electrical jobs to be done before I crack on it, such as extending existing installation for an integrated dishwasher and a freestanding washing machine on one side (all probably under the units due to lack of space at the back, we already have heating pipes running there) and extending an existing fused wall socket to have one more 5Ocm away from it. Have some basics from a technical school I went to but, do you think it's DIY STUFF or rather call a propper sparky? Cheers

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

How much service gap do you get with Ikea base units?

3. Daver77

Daver77 New Member

No service gaps, just 8 cm under the unit

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

run wiring and plumbing underneath units, put outlets in adjacent cabinets.Simples.

5. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

No void behind for services. So you have to cut into the back of the cabinets for running waste pipes and water pipes.

And their flat-pack nature doubles assembly time compared to ready-built carcasses.

FatHands likes this.
  6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

True although i think its the way its going. I was looking at a Cook and Lewis one the other day and apparently they are all "click" now - a bit like a tongue and grove floor board to snap them together. Apparently saving them a fortune in transport costs.

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Its more work to use Ikea cabs - Ikea cabs bring an affordable kitchen to the average punter..no need to cut cabs..chase and fill, and pay upmost attention to zoning.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you haven't bought your worktops yet you can pack the cabs away from the wall with cls or similar which then gives you a service void.

FatHands likes this.
  9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

You might have trouble getting a suitable depth worktop Chip doing it that way - unless you use a special made one

10. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Would suggest 2x1?!

11. Daver77

Daver77 New Member

I went to HOMEBASE to buy rawlplugs for the suspension rail from which the top unit will hung, was thinking on the metal ones that expand on the bricks but dude said, use brown plastic rawlplugs and screws since the weight is distributed as it hungs down, opinions?
    Also, will get a kitchen fitter to do the dirty work with pipes, since I will have to move water stop cock.

12. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Never, Never, never, go to Homebase for anything. Their prices are ridiculous. Used to go there from work to buy stuff (only because I wasn't paying for it) Personally wouldn't go to Homebase if ya paid me to go. Rip off merchants. ;);)

TartanPaint likes this.
  13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Brown plugs will be ok, as there are 2 fixings per bracket, I usually use these. Which require a 10mm drill.

Also look at using these as opposed to normal screws, they are far easier to drive using a socket.

14. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

So true!

TartanPaint likes this.
  15. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Ikea have just changed the design of the kitchen units, you screw a rail along the wall just under 900 up from the floor and all the base units clip to it somehow, not seen one up close yet, I presume its the same for the wall cupboards.

16. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Agree with you mate, tried a kitchen form them, reckon it would take 6 weeks, Howdens next door, all on the shelf and reduced cost as well

There sales staff even advised us to go elsewhere for fence panels as they charged a fortune to deliver

To55ers for sure

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I,ve had 3 kitchens from them, yes 6 weeks delivery or pay extra for express delivery.

The units are flat pack and sometimes have bits missing. Thougb after sales are good. Need to be told within 7 days of delivery of any damages etc.

Would use a trade place next time ad they are thicker carcasses and ready built.

I did my 2 weeks schools work experience there.

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Yes the old Faktum range has now been completely discontinued and you now have the Metod system in place. The wall cabinets are indeed hung on a rail - must admit have always used Ikea stuff although it does usually involve more work---ie more chasing and stuff etc..but hey ho nice deep cabs at the end of the day.

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

And it brings a decent kitchen into the reach of ordinary people who haven't got oodles of dosh to shell out on 19mm voided, less space, more expensive cabs 'n' stuff.