Endless dilemmas in deciding optimal sequence of renovation works

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SpaceTofu, Aug 15, 2017.

1. SpaceTofu

SpaceTofu Member

Hi all.

My partner and I are stumbling in a bit of a vicious circle with regard to the optimal succession of various improvement works we would like to carry out on our property (2 storeys victorian terraced house).

Without delving in too many unnecessary details, we are considering redoing the roofs / parapet walls, redoing the guttering, potentially externally insulate and installing a bathroom upstairs.

If we do do the roof without installing EI first, the roofs' overhangs might end up being too short so we will need to re-do the roofs a second time to accommodate for the extra thickness of the house.
    If we do do the guttering w/o installing the EI first, we fall into the same problem above, all the guttering will need to be replaced, unless we unsightly install the EI all around the guttering - plain silly.
    Unfortunately, we are not sure yet whether we really want to install the EI and it might need an extra winter for us to decide on it.

Further, we also would like to create at the back some more window openings in conjunction with the creation of a bathroom and we would therefore like to do this before carrying out any EI work. But the waste plumbing of the bathroom will be installed externally, so ideally you would do so once the EI panels are already up. And the potential (tiny) roof/parapet leakage which is degrading the walls of the bathroom-to-be would ideally need fixing before the bathroom is there and nicely decorated over. So in the end the roof renovation seems to be the first thing to tackle.

Essentially, whichever task we pick, there seems to be a second task which should be carried out first and we keep running in circles.
    As the only potential starting point, I was considering, is it possible to re-do the roofs and build them to accommodate the extra 10cm thickness already, even if the EI panels are not in place? Will it look silly if in the end we do not install any EI panel?

Thank you so much for your inputs

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Do any of the other house have EI?

You could fit insulated plaster board internally instead and make sure loft is well insulated.

3. SpaceTofu

SpaceTofu Member

in our streets some house do have EI, some don't. There is actually three houses currently undergoing front renovation and 66% of it is doing EI, the remaining 33% isn't.

We did consider internal insulation, but besides the fact that obviously we wouldn't like to waste the internal space, there is also the issue with all the period features which we would lose (e.g. covings, lamp roses etc.)

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Typically where EI is fitted to existing builds a verge trim is fitted just below the eaves. This and then the insulation is tucked underneath and doesn't compromise the ventilation or guttering

upload_2017-8-16_13-49-7.png

CGN likes this.
  5. SpaceTofu

SpaceTofu Member

Sorry for the very belated reply, juggling between work, long weekends away and house chores doesn't leave me with too much time to sit in front of the PC.

Our neighbours had EI installed some time ago and doesn't look good at all to me.
    The wall is now basically on the same plane of the fascia and I think that is not correct at all?

The verge trim you are showing sospan probably improves the falling water flow, but is quite ugly
    EI wall.jpg