Energy saving tips ...

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by enc, Sep 21, 2016.

1. enc

enc Active Member

inspired by the smart meter thread elsewhere on the forum ...
    post your energy saving tips ...

A big user of electricity is the kettle especially (in theory) the quick boil kettle.

Only Fill It with as with as much water as you actually need for the amount of brews you are making ... the mrs used to ask me .. are you brewing for the street ?

Be conscious of lights being left in rooms whilst you are pottering about ... especially as the dark nights are drawing in.

2. facilities

facilities Guest

My dragon usually cranks the heating up and if she gets too warm she opens a door:eek::(

3. facilities

facilities Guest

What about old style Boilers & cookers with permanent pilot lights, that can’t be good

4. Longy75

Longy75 Member

Don't get me started on lights, everytime I open my fridge door I find someone has left the light on :mad::p:p

5. facilities

facilities Guest

Not much you can do about it Longy it happens at ours too:( so I took the bulb out:)

Longy75 likes this.
  6. facilities

facilities Guest

if you have to fit Xmas lights fit the slow flashing types

retiredsparks likes this.
  7. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I've spent years telling my family that leaving a room without turning the light off is no different from leaving the bathroom without turning the tap off.
    Ours is certainly the darkest house on the street.

8. facilities

facilities Guest

On the drive home from work wrap the meat in foil & place under the bonnet on the manifold, it’s about a 30 minutes drive for medium steak

9. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

If smart meters were actually smart, they would help conserve energy, but I've yet to see any that actively manage energy usage.

10. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Smart meters are for the benefit of the REC's not the customer. Each meter has a switch in it, just like the old credit meters, the difference here is that this switch can be operated remotely by the REC in times of high demand. They can switch you, and only you, off for just under the time to make a claim. The cost of the electricity and gas can be altered throughout he day, paying more at peak periods, this has not been used yet but it is a feature of the meter software that the REC's will find difficult to avoid using in future. The security on the wireless transmissions of these meters is poor, no one ever thought that the data transmitted had any commercial value, but recent events have shown us that this is not so.

11. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

When you change energy supplier you may have to get the smart meter changed too because not all are compatible. They say they're free but they are not really, they have to be paid for one way or another.