EPDM versus Tecnatorch SBS roofing.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Nov 9, 2015.

1. 'Lo.

Our new (to us) Sea Cadet building is made from a series of pre-fab huts, so has around 6 or 7 full-width joins along the roof.

(Ex-school use - superb quality buildings).

The roof is covered in EPDM and is in good order. However, we've suffered a series of leaks and we suspect these are at the joins between the building sections. These joints are currently covered in strips of EPDM but they look a bit shaky.

We're in the process of getting quotes and we've discovered that having these joints (7 of them at around 7m long and probably requiring a 1m wide strip each) recovered with EPDM is gonna cost a small fortune - I think around £9k... :(

One person came out and suggested Tecnatorch SBS 'Groove System' which looks to me like a high-end bitumen felt. No idea what their quote will be like, but I suspect a lot less.

Q - what do we do?

The Sea Cadets is the only military-based cadet forces unit that isn't actually funded by the military; the bludy air and army cadets are relatively rolling in it, but we need to finance ourselves. We are the originals - and poorest. Bar stewards...

Also, can anyone recommend a 'flat' roofer in the North Devon (Bideford-ish) area?

Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sea Cadets not funded:eek:, I never knew that, & it is something that should be changed.

GRP roofing, far superior in my opinion.

3. Thanks, KIAB.

Yep - I understand GRP is the best, followed by EPDM and then felt and sh*.

But the existing roof is EPDM and in good order, so it's chust the 'joins' betwixt the units that needs redoing.

Worth going GRP for this, or stick with EPDM?

And where does a Technatorch strip feature in this scenario?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No joins in GRP to leak, easy to repair if needed, available in many colours, will last 30 years plus.

5. Yes but...

We are chust looking at covering the joints - so it would have to bond to the EPDM that's already on the main roofs.

Would GRP bond down on this EPDM flat roof either side?

6. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Liquid Plastics would be my choice, prime with EPDM primer and apply the liquid. Great system. You could even mech fix an insulation board first then do the application to improve the u-value.

A full overlay with a fleece and single ply membrane would be another quick choice that would be a bit cheaper.

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

On a budget hey!!!!!!!!!

downloadfile.jpeg

:D:D:D:D:D

Tiny01 likes this.
  8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Just seen you on yours.

not-my-bike.jpg

:p:p:p:cool: