Epoxy for a corian counter top

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by joe sylvester, Jun 26, 2015.

1. joe sylvester

joe sylvester New Member

Hi everyone,

To prevent my diswasher from tipping I have used "Granite Grab" a product found on Amazon that has an adhesive underside which is placed under the counter and then the diswhwasher brackets are screwed into the "grabber". However, either the Corian material, or the heat of the diswasher, prevents the "Grabber" from staying in place more than 3-4 months.

It is a tight fit between the dishwasher top and the underside of counter top with no wooden subtop to screwdirectly into :( Hence it is difficult to put a strip of wood thick enough for a wood screw to bite and hold the dishwasher in place. I like the design of the "Granite grab" but the adhesive is not strong enough. Is there an adhesive out there that you guys use that would work without staining the underside of the counter top?

thank you in advance
    joe sylvester

2. Why are you worried about staining the underside of the top - you can't see it, can you? (I'm confused.)

Anyways, not 100% sure what you are trying to adhere to the countertop underside, and I think a photo would help us here (certainly me.)

Anyways, anyways, StixAll is superb adhesive which I've used to fix many different materials. It hasn't let me down yet.

3. joe sylvester

joe sylvester New Member

Hi DA,
    thanks for the reply I was concerned about an adhesive bleeding up to the top surface of the white corian top.
    Here is a pic of the old "granite grabber" that I placed under my desk counter to give you an idea of how they work. The diswasher manufacturer included 2 brackets that fit snugly to the top of the washer and can easily be screwed into a wood sub counter to prevent tipping when the door is open or a toddler is standing on the door.

I will do some research on Stixall

thank you

Attached Files:

4. joe sylvester

joe sylvester New Member

Perhaps a 2 part epoxy ?

5. Wow - the bracket is that close to the front edge? Is this an integrated appliance - I mean, can you see that bracket in use?

Yes, 2-part epoxy should work too, and won't bleed. StixAll won't bleed either. I cannot comment on which would be best.

Slightly abrade the worktop - and bracket - surface first for a key?

6. joe sylvester

joe sylvester New Member

No the bracket is not that close to the front edge. For a photo I simple attached to the front bottom of my desk edge so you could see the product in action, here is the link:
    http://www.granitegrabbers.com/how_it_works.html
    No affiliation

7. Thanks for the link.

Ah, so the supplied adhesive strip didn't work properly?

(Did you clamp it firmly in place during the setting process?)

I guess your own suggestion - 2-pack - should be fine. But clean and abrade first!

Strange that the original adhesive came loose - it's not as though it has constant force on it, just the odd 'tug'. It seems to have just come loose of its own accord over time, as if it simply didn't adhere properly in the first place.

(But StixAll is awesome too - I've lost count of the things I've repaired with it. Very tough, very powerful grab, excellent filling properties, remains flexible.)

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Most dishwashers are slid under the worktop then raised up to their final fixing position. Is it possible to work out how much gap there is between the dishwasher and the worktop, towards the rear of the dishwasher? If so, I think I'd be looking at possibly fixing some sort of spacer/timber to the dishwasher top/rear. So when it's slid under then raised, there's no chance of it tipping forward. (just an option) ;);)