Erbauer mitre saw bevel cut not accurate

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by eDowd15, Jun 22, 2015.

1. eDowd15

eDowd15 New Member

I just bought an Erbauer compound mitre saw (http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb609msw-210mm-single-bevel-sliding-mitre-saw-230v/2977f) for cutting skirting board, moulding and the odd bit of joinery.

It cuts well at 90 degrees and any mitre. Nice and square. Unfortunately the bevel cut seems to be off. I was cutting a 45 degree bevel on a 150mm piece of skirting and noticed that across that distance it's 2mm off! I squared the fence to the blade, the angle of the blade to the base and couldn't get it more accurate. The more bevel the less accurate the cut.

Has anyone had any problems with this saw or the Erbauer brand? At £109 it isn't expensive. Should I spend a bit more to get a decent, accurate saw? Any tips on how I could calibrate it?

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

My old Makita & my present Bosch GCM8SJL have set screws which you can adjust the head at 45 & 90 degrees.

See this link.

You get what you pay for, depends how much use have for one more expensive.
    What the largest mterial you'll be cutting with it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    eDowd15 likes this.
  4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

There was the same problem posted on here a while ago.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I had the same problem. Saw would cut 90, 45 and any other angle exactly right, but when the head was titled over to 45 degrees it wouldn't cut at 90 degrees to the fence. Turned out to be the blade wan't quite sharp. Put a new blade in and problem was solved. ;);)

FatHands and eDowd15 like this.
  6. eDowd15

eDowd15 New Member

Heh, I'd looked at this earlier. Very interesting but maybe a bit too precise for what I'm after! That said, I could square the base and fence. Although the author does stalk about grinding down the base if it isn't flat!

7. eDowd15

eDowd15 New Member

Great, thanks. I had noticed that the saw was starting to struggle a little. The blade has only done a handful of cuts but maybe it's dulled.

I'll give this a shot and post back.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Get Freud blades, they are superb, only blades I use in my mitre saw & circular saws.

FREUD LP40M018 should be the correct one,
    210mm x 30 x 40T, not sure if they do a 60Tooth version in 210mm blades, a bit of limited range in that size.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    eDowd15 likes this.
  9. eDowd15

eDowd15 New Member

The Erbauer has these screws too. I've only squared the blade at 90 and for mitres, not for the bevel. Re: cutting lengths, unsure but my current saw cuts about 220mm I think.

Noted, thanks. I hate the idea of buying a new blade and finding out the actual saw is duff!

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If your doing a serious amount of work with the saw, then I return it, & spend a bit more for something better, look for one that uses 216mm blades, wider choice available.
    Sometimes no amount of adjusting can correct a fault, due to poor manufacturing.

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yes...perhaps a bit precise indeed! :p

Was a useful section showing bevel adjustment on 4 different types of saw though...perhaps yours fits into one those? :)

12. Mr. Handyandy

Front needs lifting when at 90º.

Try and cut a 1mm deep groove across a 200mm board. See if it's 1mm all the way across.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. eDowd15

eDowd15 New Member

What do you mean by "front needs lifting"?

14. Mr. Handyandy

Use the example 'cut a groove' above, and if the groove is 1mm at the start, but 2 or 3mm nearest you, then the saw is dropping when pulled out.
    If tilted to the left for a bevel cut, the cut may be correct at the start, but will be 2 or 3mm to the right, when pulled out(nearest you).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

mr moose likes this.
  15. eDowd15

eDowd15 New Member

I ended up sending this saw back.

Any suggestions on a replacement? Willing to pay £300 max, but obviously the cheaper is better! Not bothered about fancy features - just want a reliable, accurate and precise saw.

I've seen some Metabo saws around but unsure of the quality.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

DeWalt generally do good chop saws, mines a Makita, Metabo are OK but not my favorite.