ES 14 fittings ?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Biffo, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Biffo

Biffo Member

Hi , just fitted 2 -5 bulb - chandeliers in hall on the top of fitting there is the connector block with live and neutral markings

ive got 10 bulb wires with no markings and the feed wire with markings . the **** instructions say pull one wire from each fitting and bunch together and bunch the others and insulate ?

do i need to do a polarity test on each wire to determine + and - + to the centre of bulb fitting ???

or just do as per instructions ???

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If the lamps are ES or SES types then the live connection should go to the centre contact, if BC types then it doesn't matter which is which. Reading your post again (properly!) it sounds like you have ES lamps so yes, the live should go to the centre contact of the lamp.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Concur with Sen - all ES lamp holders must have the live connected to the centre otherwise things could be nasty. This is also part of an electrical inspection test on dwellings - it goes in the box marked polarity check (or something like that, I don't know the exact words)

4. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Stick a pic on lets have a look

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

If the the lampholder complies to BSEN60238, then polarity is not important. These lamp holders shroud accessible parts when a lamp is in place. Most lampholders on fancy light fittings will be BSEN60238 these days, particularly E14 ones in my experience.

6. Lectrician

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I don't agree. Although there are ''get out clauses'' under BSEN60238 which effectively allow any polarity within a ES lamp holder complying with this, (I have seen these lamp holders) then who is going to wire the centre with a neutral despite BSEN60238 allowing it?

No way under my regs would this practise be allowed - electrics in some instances are getting lapse tbqh.

In a nutshell, in my books any ES lamp holder should always be wired with the centre contact live. There are no circumventions with respect to said and a polarity check should always be undertaken to verify centre live.

Thank you.

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

electrics in some instances are getting lapse tbqh.
    ----------
    Agreed JP, when you think of some of the really daft things that are enforced and yet other potentially dodgy stuff is ignored by regs!

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Concur Sen - we have the best wiring systems in the world and the best regs - however little things like the ES lamp holder polarity undermine them to a small extent.

10. Lectrician

The OP asked a question. I correctly answered it. While you may not agree, it is the answer. Sure, beep the leads out if you wish, but do you not think they are un-identified through error, or because they are permitted to be.....

I too would prefer to see the center as the live, but lets face it.....it complies.

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

12. Biffo

Biffo Member

ive had the electrician round tonight he took one look at the set up ,totally wrong info on the instructions .

he did a polarity test on all the bulb holders and wire , job sorted . wiring it random can make the outer case live .
    http://www.chandeliervideo.com/Video.aspx?code=0S7SpD180C8

this is the one i have

so who is right ???

13. Lectrician

Who is right? It clearly depends on thevBritish Standard of those lamp holders. Not many electricians are aware of this black and white regulation. You may not like the regulation, but you can't argue with it.

14. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Where did the guy in the vid get those pliers, Poundland. :p:p

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

That table in the vid looks like a pukka piece - should not the chap have put some cardboard or summit on it first to protect it while doing stuff?

16. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

The holders must be fully insulated, if wiring it randomly could make the case live, then it would almost certainly create a L/N short circuit as there is a good chance you would not get them all the same way round. Since that does not happen, I'm going for not the best solution, but certainly not possible to make the case live

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

The more I look at that video the more I'm happy that I run a tight ship - that is genuine random ES lamp holder polarity. Flipping European wiring. I mean the chandelier is great and is built well and looks good, its just the lamp holder wiring which lets it down - still once its belled out and a piece of brown sleeve is put on every centre contact wire all will be well.

Perhaps a revamped video could be made - it could be titled ''How to wire a multi ES lamp holder fitted chandelier - with centre polarity observed''

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Also those scruits would be chucked straight in the bin

19. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I have come across some of those new type Screwits with the threaded metal inserts JP and they don't look bad, not sure if they're compliant yet though?

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I must admit Sen I don't know about the new Screwits - even if they were compliant not so sure I would be happy using them - it would remind me of post WW2 vir and Bakelite, and irons plugged into lighting bc aux lamp holders..you know the ones which angled off the main body. The vir flex with iron on end use to hang from this, and the apron cladded nan using it use to sing ''There Always Be An England'' whilst ironing.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014