established acer tree re positioning

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by cal b, May 28, 2017.

1. cal b

cal b New Member

iv got an established acer tree in my garden were a new patio area is going but would like to move the tree up the garden rather than cut it down and kill it, its about 4 inch thick at the bottom of stem, is it possible to dig it up and move it or should i just cut it down and dispose

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It can be moved but you need to move it with as much soil intact as possible - more than you could realistically move by hand so use a mini digger or JCB for instance. The main fibrous roots (the ones that extract water and nutrients from the soil) will extend to just beyond the 'drip line' of the tree so you're trying not to damage those any more than is necessary. Be prepared to water it daily in its new location for the rest of the summer as this is pretty much the worst time to move it. This can be made easier by installing a watering pipe into the hole before you place the tree. These can be bought ready made or by making a loop out of some perforated flexible land drain pipe joined by a tee piece with a length of pipe sticking up out of the ground to pour the water in.

Keep the root ball moist at all times during the move - wrapping it with soaked builders' hessian is very helpful as it helps to keep things intact and can be left in place once installed as it will eventually rot away.

Depending on the size and condition of the root ball you will also need to give some consideration to securing the tree in place until roots have started to grow sufficiently to stop it being blown over. New roots won't grow either if the root ball is moving around - they'll keep snapping off. This can be by any number of methods ranging from a single stake driven in at an angle into the surrounding soil (don't pierce the root ball), a double stake and crossbar arrangement maybe or right through to a ground anchor system that secures the root ball in the ground and has guy lines up into the tree.

If you can prune the tree without harming its shape or general appearance this will help to reduce transpiration and improve your chance of success.

If I haven't put you off - I'm not saying don't do it, it can be successfully done - just remember that the hole you leave behind under your new patio will require some serious making good with compacted hard-core or it will settle and the patio will need relaying after a few years.

Good luck.

Willy.

Jitender likes this.
  3. cal b

cal b New Member

cheers willy, looks like im in for a hard day!!

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Thanks Wily.

I have a Japanese acer to and needs to be re-positioned as well, had a wall built and builder said it needs to go.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Best to move in late autumn/early spring.

Jitender likes this.
  6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Its providing some privacy so didn't want to move it, will need to find something to replace it which is OK near walls.

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Winter would be my preferred choice - any time November onwards - so long as ground isn't frozen.