EU(w) Bill.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by longboat, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Do you want to think that through a bit more ?

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Not at all Jack.

3. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I can't think of a better place to get my information than the 'bill' itself, can you?

The full 60 pages take a bit of wading through but more than half of it refers to devolved authorities (sc/wa/ni) and their powers under the bill.

I can't find anything in the document that may provide a Carte-blanch power grab approach to any legislation changes.
    Everything has to be presented to parliament for approval, either by debate, or laying before both houses for quick approval.
    It's all out in the open.
    Have a look, if you like?

Attached Files:

4. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

You're absolutely correct, DA, the day of brexit hasn't happened yet.
    When the day 'does' arrive, I can honestly say it will be a million miles closer to what we wanted than what you predicted.

Or are you still in denial?

5. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

You're wasting your breath mate, DA thinks denial is a river in Africa.

6. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yep, and the unfortunate blighters that live on denial should all be invited to europe so some of us can live on denial.
    Bring sand from the Sahara though, many here have a good use for that.

7. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

There's suspicion why it's most of the remainer MPs who are hysterically arguing against the bill. I'm also suspicious as to why remainer MPs are so determined to overturn the will of the electorate, the very people who voted them in.

8. I think that most 'Leave' and 'Remain' MPs are fulfilling the will of their constituency electorate. And that's why both the Tory and Labour parties are so divided on this issue.

Add to that each MP's personal opinion on Brexit, and you get what we see now.

Messy, isn't it?

9. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I think you're just making stuff up.
    All Conservatives voted in favour of the bill.
    All (bar 7) Labour members voted against.
    Hardly any indication that they're fulfilling the wishes of their constituents, or that both parties are divided.
    Is it?

10. Just wait until the bill's 'passage'... :rolleyes:

11. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

For what?

12. Good point, I dont believe all conservative MP's constituences voted for Brexit, nor did some Conservative MP's support it. Just following the party line then, not their beliefs or those that they represent.

13. Harry see above, democracy ?

14. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

It's not really about their own beliefs or that of a majority in their constituency anymore.
    We are leaving the EU, article 50 was debated and agreed on. This bill is to transfer all current EU legislation into our own statute, so it can be amended or dropped as and when needed to make it applicable to the UK.
    The EU(w) Bill will be passed, those who are against it are merely trying to delay the inevitable, for party political reasons.

15. Harry Stottle

It's clear that, no matter what newspaper one reads or whatever TV programme one watches, that remainer MPs see opposing the bill as another small obstacle to brexit, some may be genuinely miffed that they don't get a vote on everything, but not many.

16. (Pssst - the dissection of that bill has yet to happen...)

17. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

It will still be passed, DA.
    Hope all you want that it will not be so, it will come out.
    You know this.

18. Harry Stottle

I'm hoping for a hard Brexit, all this "negotiating" is a waste of time, J P Junker and his associates are not trustworthy and we have much more to gain than lose if we tell them to go and jump into the river.

19. You, and many many many many other Leavers too, Harry.

So I rest my case again.

20. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

The second day of committee stage for the EU Withdrawal Bill again saw the government come under criticism - particularly on the protection of rights and environmental standards after Brexit - but again it saw off all amendments voted on.