Euro cylinder alignment problem

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by radiation, Sep 7, 2007.

1. radiation

radiation New Member

I have replaced a functioning "keyed both sides" Euro cylinder with a "thumb turn" version (to enable easier escape in case of emergency). The lock is fitted in a uPVC door with multi point bolt fastening. The lock has worked OK for a couple of weeks, but now refuses to work properly.
    The cylinder mechanism still rotates OK, and engages the bolt if fully turned, but has to be rotated back around 20 degrees to extract the key. At this point, the bolt becomes been disengaged. The mechanism operates fine if the cylinder is rotated using the thumb turn (from inside).
    I have put back the original cylinder -the door locks fine with key from either side.
    I have compared the two cylinders and note that there is a difference in alignment between the cams on the two cylinders. Looking from outside, the cam on the original cylinder is aligned at about "8 o'clock" with the key removed. However, the cam on the new cylinder is aligned at around "11 o'clock". i am not a locksmith, but suspect this may be causing the problem.

Any ideas?

2. TimberTech

TimberTech Member

have you at any point since you fitted it had a key in each side at the same time, i had one a few years ago when the key was left in the lock inside and the customer tried to unlock with another key from outside and it made the lock spin and threw the cam out of line, it may be that you need to try this , it may be the answer,other than that a good locksmith would advise you,

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

With the lock removed(as you have) try putting the key in, and turn the cam to the 'removal/insertion' position by hand, then remove the key(you may be able to on some, to do that without the key in).

Make sure then that the key hole is in the upright position.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

4. Handyhands

Handyhands New Member

You shouldn't be able to spin the cam by hand - if so, the Euro is knackered. It should only turn by using the key or the turn. If the cam's at 11 o'clock, then it's slipped and needs replacing. Buy a decent brand.

If you've a letterbox in this door, I'd suggest a restrictor is fitted to prevent hands etc reaching for the thumbturn.