Euro Lock - key rotating but not unlocking

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Tolley, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Tolley

Tolley New Member

My back door key just turns repeatedly in the lock without unlocking the door.  There in no obvious evidence of anything being broken (no graunching of metal etc). This weekend I was planning to see if I could undo the doohinges, take the door out, then release the Euro Lock cylinder, but I wondered if anyone has come across this before & can advise what I am likely to find & the resolution.
    Cheers

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Does it do it from both sides?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. Tolley

Tolley New Member

Good call but unforunately the key just spins from either side. I'm thinking on getting a quote from a locksmith to see if it can be opened without destroying the door and take it from there.
    Thanks

4. Mr. Handyandy

Would you try one last thing? Lever the door upwards and drop it a couple of times. You can do that with a plank of wood and a bit to lever off of. Then try to unlock again. This may not be a fix, just a means to get it working so that it can be removed a repaired.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Tolley

Tolley New Member

That's an idea; i'll give it a go.
    Thanks
    Tolley

6. Biffo

Biffo Member

lifting an droppping wont do a thing ,   the gearbox has broken   , 5 minute job for a lockie to open   either a new gearbox or complete mechanism

7. Mr. Handyandy

I'm working on the possibility that the catch has jumped on it's spring and not relocated. Jarring the door might help.

It seems odd to me that the lock cam lever is just dangling down, unless it is completely broken off(possible).

Just exploring every avenue.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Biffo

Biffo Member

the cam lever will be broken    very common fault

9. Mr. Handyandy

Wish you'd make your mind up Biffo :)

First you say the gearbox is broken, then you say the cam lever is broken.

Assuming the gearbox is the latch mechanism, and the cam lever is the lever of the barrel(completely separate items)?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Biffo

Biffo Member

the cam turner is on the barrel , it turns the lever insie the g/box  . thats why i carry a turner with me for lost key jobbies  

11. oweno

oweno New Member

I had exactly the same thing happen.

Mine was a thumbturn on the inside, and to cut a VERY long story short a longer key (6 cylinder) that had the same profile had been used on a 5 cylinder lock. This pushed the little gearbox bit on the inside further than it should go. Whilst the longer key was jiggled it caused the cam turner to drop a bit meaning that when the key was taken out the gearbox bit would not come back into the correct position - after that the correct key just spins and spins and spins.

Operating the thumb turn from the inside made it get it's act back together. (however this is difficult when it's a 2nd floor room with no other door.....)

Got a locksmith to break it open in about 20 seconds after 4 hours of my prodding.
    Can now reproduce the problem at will with a similar thumbturn Euro lock.

12. Mewlim

Mewlim New Member

I've made an account just to reply here. I had this exact problem, locked door, spinning lock both sides.upvc door. I looked through this thread but couldn't see an obvious way to get it open to try and do it myself. Anyway I called a locksmith and literally all they did was force the handle down and it opened. ( After they got me to agree to a minimum £65 "labour" charge to get it open) then on top £75 for new centre mechanism and £35 for new handles. She left the old barrel in or it would have been another £35. Took 20 minutes max. £175 lighter I want to try and help someone else because if only I'd known to force the handle down I would have done it myself and saved myself a shedload of cash.

13. Gary sampson

Gary sampson New Member

Could of just tapped the front of the barrel with a screwdriver a few times, cam is stuck out of position that’s all. Takes 30 seconds

14. Parkerling

Parkerling New Member

I have or should I say HAD the same issue, orked fine from outside but round and round on the inside. I followed the basic instruction from Gary Sampson of tapping the barrel, I did this, not hard, then after 5 taps it worked a treat. Thanks Gary, good call and money for nothing saved. Hopefully will stay that way. :)

15. Amr24252425

Amr24252425 New Member

So by tapping the barrell with a screw driver u mean just putting in a screw driver and tapping or pusbing it upwards a couple times ? Pls help