European Tools

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by sospan, Mar 23, 2017.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I was reading a German builders magazine and there were some simple but really good tools. I don't see any innovation in the UK these days

Strimmer on wheels, around £90,

upload_2017-3-23_19-16-41.png

Log chopper, you just drop the log in the orange V, push it forward and the it chops the log at the black line

upload_2017-3-23_19-18-14.png

2. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

All available in the UK

3. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

That strimmer on wheels would probably be a nightmare.
    It would be ok on a totally flat garden with square edges, but most gardens have postsome bumps lumps etc.
    A strummer needs to be lifted moved and manoeuvred around obstacles.
    I like the look of the log cutter though.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

With the strimmer, I can see a huge market with the elderly and Council Workers :D

I chop up logs recycle a lot of wood for myself and the neighbours and even with a chain saw it is a real pain getting uniform sizes for wood burners, so the tilting saw is ideal

5. seen it all before

Yes I collect lots of wood from work to bring home for the wood burner, I get tired of sharpening the chain saw blade.
    I'm going on e bay to look for one of these now.

6. seen it all before

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

They are hard work, had one found it too high,mine could take a 300mm diameter log, but you had to cut it to a mangable length to be able to lift log into place, much prefered my manual log lifter saw horse.

upload_2017-3-23_20-22-35.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I prefer the work out that I get with using an axe and chopper!!!!

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Its the Chinese ma
    Interesting, most of the stuff, I get isn't that thick mostly up to 200mm, a lot of thinner trees and strippings, plus stuff like old door frames and fence posts and of course all the off cuts I churn out. My offcuts go through table/chop saw. It is the other stuff that's a pain and especially since people don't pay for the stuff but like the logs looking neat in their home. The German looks a lot better than the ebay one above

Used a lot of log lifters, Cant sticks (peaveys) and this sort of thing over the years, quite simple tools and do their job well. The wheeled log lifter is really impressive with what you can move around

upload_2017-3-23_21-23-14.png

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The one I had was german or swedish made, not chinese junk.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The ebay one is probably a generic Chinese one as it is also marketed by Scheppach. Even on the eBay video the saw doesn't cut the log all the way through but is probably good enough.

The German ones come in various power loads although taking that to its max load would be hard work.

I do like to see innovation in tools - as long as they aren't gimmicks

KIAB likes this.
  13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I used something like that 25 years ago, Perkins engine, 4' blade and a swing table mounted on wheels.

14. You might be surprised at tools like that.

Outside of the big cities, especially in the moselle wine producing area where there are lots of small villages withva few small towns in between, there are often tool shops/farm suppliers attached to the supermarkets.

Tools on the shelf generally available that you don't always expect in stock at big depots over here.

Things like those log choppers, ranges of tool boxes, workbenches, power tools, storage systems, drill bits and accessories etc. I always spend time and money when I'm over there. Always good quality stuff, mostly German made, and good prices.

We are way behind in comparison generally.

KIAB likes this.
  15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Down here in Wales when I was young, we used to ship chandlers they died out and now even the farm suppliers are gone. The country shops used to be amazing places, when you walked in and could identify what half the stuff was you were doing well! Most of the products would probably be illegal these days