Everbuild 406?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by StevesST220, May 10, 2016.

1. StevesST220

StevesST220 Member

Just wondered if i could ask you for some advice. Customer had a waterleak in downstairs shower room, all fixed now, but some patches on the painted wall are bad due to water ingress i think. Paint has bubbled (a very dry bubble of paint) and under the bubble is a very chalky feel, even powdery. Other areas have bubbles where paint has lifted but not dried out to such an extent. If i peel the bubbles in those areas bare plaster is revealed. Whats the best way to prep walls for painting? Was thinking of scraping and sanding followed by Everbuild 406, mist coat, then paint as usual. Trouble is i cant find a stockist of 406 locally

2. Zinsser Gardz is similar - can you find that locally?

But, yes, if the surface is dusty/chalky or otherwise dodgy, these products seem ideal to bond, seal and prime the surfaces.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Did consider Zinsser Gardz, but thought Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 Primer might be better in reply to a PM, op sent me.:)

What you reckon DA.

4. StevesST220

StevesST220 Member

I can get 123 in Dover, gardz will involve a 25 mile round trip. Not worried about mileage, just want which ever products is the correct one for this problem

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Didn't know there was an outback in Dover:D, 25 mile round trip & I thought it was bad here in Somerset sourcing things.:eek:

Very surprised your can't get Zinsser Gardz locally, but you can 123.:confused:

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  6. StevesST220

StevesST220 Member

Its nice living in the countryside but there is nothing in between towns. Gotta travel if nothing locally stocked

7. If the surfaces are remotely chalky, dusty, damaged (eg crazed or slightly cumbly) or particularly porous, I would personally go for 406 or Gardz.

These are both very 'watery' and are designed to soak in to bind and adhere the surface making it secure. They also both adhere really well to pretty much anything that's on there - traces of old paint, etc.

I'm not a pro, but I know what I would use.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Gardz.

9. Yeah, what I mean is I wouldn't use 123 here. It probably would work, but I like the idea of 'soaking in'... :oops:

10. StevesST220

StevesST220 Member

Gardz it is then chaps. Thanks for your help, will let you know how i get on.
    Last thing, will i still need a mist coat?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  12. StevesST220

StevesST220 Member

Thank you