exhaust fan and bathroom light

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Simonthepieman, Aug 25, 2014.

1. At the moment my bathroom light and bathroom fan are operated independently from 2 switches on a 3 gang switch plate (the 3rd operates the landing light.) I want to operate both the light and fan from one switch. Is it just a case of moving the wires across or is it more complicated?

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes just transfer the switch wire for the fan on to the bathroom light switch wire. You may wish to consider changing the plate to a 2-gang to avoid a redundant switch.

3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

In the main the wiring is to comply with Part F (I think) building regulations and it is dependent on if there is a window and if so does it open?

Oddly the rules do not allow operation with the lights where the fan is required by building regulations. It it's an extra then no problem but if required and there is natural lighting then you must be able to switch on the fan without switching on the lights.

Using a double pole light switch you can get best of both so either switching on lights or switching on the fan will activate the fan. The independent switch often momentary so the run on timer keeps the fan running for 15 minutes after activation.

OK I am sure many don't follow Part F or L when installing a bathroom fan but you asked so I have answered on what the law requires.

FatHands likes this.