Existing Drain smells and big mice problem!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Chris101, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

the bit covered by a roof

2. Chris101

Chris101 Member

I assume visual although I wasn't present so not 100% sure.

3. Chris101

Chris101 Member

No as only the utilities area is under the roof and Bathroom under existing house.

The plumbers may of done something fundamentally wrong as initially they even forgot to put a trap for the washing machine and boiler. It was only due to the smells I looked n found them missing.

The traps are installed now but smells still enter the house

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

ask the builders how they tested the drains, ask the BCO if he witness tested them - if you get no joy get some bungs and do a smoke test

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Does the washing machine drain internally or does it go outside in to a gully trap.

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

next time the smell appears get your nose up close to the basin/sink/shower outlets and see if the smell is particularly strong

7. Chris101

Chris101 Member

The bathroom has always been hard to identify as it is always dispersed into the air as it is never as strong at the exit points.

It seems like it disperses a build up and then lingers or the exit point is not visible...

The utilities on the other hand I am pretty sure its coming from behind the washing machine and boiler.
    Previously I have removed the washing machine and have noticed it far stronger from the gaps between the wall and floor tiles and through the waste pipe...

8. Phil the Paver

It does sound like you have one of two things going on.

Either it is leaking or its fitted with a insufficient trap.

9. Chris101

Chris101 Member

This morning we woke up with a very stale smell in the kitchen/diner which lingered throughout the ground floor.
    The smell was very strong from behind the washing machine and the area where the 2 tiles have been lifted (definitely more stronger putting nose between worktop and washing machine).

This smell thought was stale but not eggy like other occasions.

I called the builder but he only came an hour later and by then the smells had weakened and we had the washing machine on as well so the smell between worktop/washing machine was of washing smells.

The builder said he is pretty sure its not the old drain as according to him and a few people he has asked, the fact we have lifted up 2 tiles there should be a consistent strong smell from the old drains which there isn't.
    There is a stale smell when you put your nose down into the whole but no where strong to stink the whole room...

Although his conclusion is that he believes it is nothing to do with the old drain and rather the bathroom sink, shower or toilet, is there anything I can advise him to do to make sure or does he have a valid point with regards to the old drain system?

10. Phil the Paver

Blocking the old pipe with just plastic and soil was far from ideal, but at some point this old pipe must run through the foundations of the new extension if it went to a manhole in your neighbours garden, so at that point did the builder cut through the pipe or build over it, if he cut through it why did he leave the section in under the floor of the extension, if he built over it, why??.

Your washing machine, does it have filters on the waste outlet, if so have you cleaned these out, if they a partly blocked they may be holding back some powder scum that is smelling.

11. Chris101

Chris101 Member

He has built over, not sure exactly why and will need to ask him but from asking a few other builders it seems a common practice to leave them there as it is more of hassle/bigger job to dig them all out.

Well I believe there are not filters but we have had the smell since day one of installing the brand new washing machine....
    Although the smell is more strong from behind the washing machine, the smell used to be just as bad under the boiler before they used the expanding foam to cover up the gap in the floor....

12. Phil the Paver

Is this washing machine waste on the new pipe run or is it on the old, hence why they left it.

13. Chris101

Chris101 Member

New pipe run

14. Chris101

Chris101 Member

We are thinking of getting a CCTV drain test which includes testing of traps, using dyes and smoke bomb test as well.
    Do any of you think this would be a wise move and roughly how much would it cost?

15. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

a few bungs and smokes won't cost much at all - if you DIY

16. Phil the Paver

17. Chris101

Chris101 Member

I wasn't present but I am guessing a quick look if even that

18. Chris101

Chris101 Member

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I would imagine it's something like, light smoke pellet, shove it up drain, bung drain, see where smoke comes out!

20. Chris101

Chris101 Member

How do I access the drain though? Through the manhole?
    I have no idea about anything drain related...