Existing Porch Movement

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Raisin, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Raisin

Raisin New Member

We've bought a house with a porch on the front and we've noticed that movement has caused the concrete joint against the house to crumble, in some places (2mtrs high) I can pretty much slide the end of my little finger in there.

Rather than cramming it with external filler and then builder's mastic, do I need to do anything first?

Is there any way to retrospectively fit wall starters?

2. petethebrickie1

petethebrickie1 New Member

wall starters wont hold it, chances are the foundations arnt deep enough (because its just a porch), foundations should be at least 1m deep. you may have to bite the bullet and start from new or you could go to the trouble of under pinning it and it would probably be wiser to build from new

3. Raisin, sounds like a pants build as Pete says.

However, it may be that the worst of the settlement has now occurred, and there will be little future movement. So I'd 'point' the gap with mortar and chust keep an eye on it.

When was the porch built, do you know?

(Really, what's the worst that can happen? It's chust a porch - it ain't gonna come tumbling doon, or anyfink...

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

A gap that only the size of the end of your little finger isn't anything to worry about, it was probably that wide to start with, do as said above and point it up and keep any eye on it.

5. How big is the porch? Picture would be very good, does it have guttering