Expanded door frame on conservatory door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by James V, Jun 26, 2016.

1. James V

James V Member

Hi all

I have noticed a split in the wood on my conservatory door frame. Just wondering what to do / how to do it. Cutting diagonally through the expanded bit seems the thing to do - but with a limited range of standard tools I'm unsure how I'd do it. A chisel would be risky with the glass there. I could take the cowards way out and just fill the gap?!
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

James

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I don't know much about dbl glazing but that "split" doesn't look like an actual split in the timber, it's the glazing bead that has bowed

Probably held on with a few panel pins whereas the UPVC beads clip into place. Ease the bead off with a wide chisel and if the heads of the pins start to protrude, grab em with pincers and remove

Timber glazing bead easily available from say B&Q, differant widths and profiles so if you need to replace yours, take with to match up

You may find that with some extra pins it may lay flat again in the door or may require a little trim if slightly too long

The above is mainly guess work though, others will offer more ideas I'm sure :)

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just the glazing beads that needs to be pinned back in, if you decide to go for a new one make sure it is hardwood.

Also a good idea to re-decorate the door.